SSHRC Referees for Doctoral Students

Zencarrot

I've previously completed a terminal Master's degree and just started my PhD program this year. Of course, the internal deadline for SSHRC for my institution is coming up rapidly. Everything is pretty much ready to go except for my reference letters. I had two referees who had already agreed to write me letters, but I noticed on the SSHRC website that for students in a doctoral program, one of your referees must be your doctoral supervisor. I found this to be an unrealistic expectation considering I have met with my supervisor only two times and he has likely not had sufficient time to personally assess my abilities as a researcher. He of course has agreed to supervise me as a doctoral student which is evidence of his confidence in my abilities, but is it fair to expect him to provide a strong reference so early on in my studies? Furthermore, does anyone know of any exceptions that SSHRC has made to this "rule" they have in place? I know the federal funding bodies typically do not budge on their policies but I was wondering if anyone else has had similar experiences to me. I can't imagine that my situation is all that uncommon.

Thanks in advance.

In addition to the qualities that led your supervisor to accept you to graduate school, he can write about the merits of your research proposal. If he has only known you for a short while they can't expect a detailed letter. I haven't heard of any exceptions myself, but the staff at SSHRC would be the people who could tell you for sure. I am inclined to think not; like you said, your situation is not that uncommon so in any case many of the other applicants will be in the same position as you.

the committees will be able to see that you went to a different school for your MA and your PhD, so they will know that your dissertation advisor's direct experience with you is more limited. this will be the case for every other applicant who changed institutions between the MA and the PhD. ask your dissertation advisor to write about the potential that brought you into his/her program in the first place and to write on the merits of the proposal itself. ask your old MA professors to speak about your actual research experiences under their guidance as well as the viability and importance of the proposal. not every LOR has to cover the same bases.

Edited by StrangeLight

I've just started my Master's and am applying for external scholarships where it is expected that my new supervisor writes me a LoR. While he doesn't know me very well, it would look unusual if he wasn't willing to write about my strengths and potential, considering he accepted me into his research group based on these things. The best you can hope for is to try to provide your future supervisor with as much information as possible to guide the letter writing process.

• 2 weeks later...

Where on the SSHRC website does it say this about having one reference be your supervisor? I didn't notice this!

Uh, yeah I didn't notice this either. I've just started, and am unsure about asking my advisor... anyone know where to find this on their site or in their documentation?

Uh, yeah I didn't notice this either. I've just started, and am unsure about asking my advisor... anyone know where to find this on their site or in their documentation?

Log in to your SSHRC application and click "Instructions". Scroll down to the area that addresses referees. I've copied the instructions from the website verbatim:

"If you are currently enrolled in a doctoral degree program and have a supervisor

One of the letters of appraisal must be from your doctoral thesis supervisor. If you completed a Master's degree previously, the other letter should be from your Master's supervisor (or equivalent). If you do not yet have a supervisor, obtain letters from faculty members who have had sufficient opportunity to assess your potential, at the bachelor's or Master's level."

HTH