Applying with non-sociology background

Kcanuck

Hey all,

It seems that most Sociolgoy applicants on this board have their undergraduate degrees in Sociology (understandably). Are there any of you out there who have done Political Science? I did both my B.A. and M.A. in Canada in Political Science, but I applied at NYU sociology and I'm wondering how the Soc departments in general view non-soc degrees.

Most of my undergraduate/graduate work has been 'sociology' related, and my interests fall right in line with some of the key areas of focus in the NYU soc department, but I do wonder if having two degrees in poli sci will cause a frown or two...

thoughts?

I considered applying at NYU and found that it wasn't for me. However, I tried to really dig deep when finding out about programs before applying - which is why I found your post particularly ironic...

Did you happen to notice that at least three of the soc prof's at NYU don't even have a PhD in Sociology?

One of them only has degrees in Physics: http://sociology.as.nyu.edu/object/davidgreenberg.html

His bio was particularly memorable:

I came to sociology because I could not find a job in physics, and needed to do something else to earn a living...Luckily NYU hired me even though I

Hey all,

It seems that most Sociolgoy applicants on this board have their undergraduate degrees in Sociology (understandably). Are there any of you out there who have done Political Science? I did both my B.A. and M.A. in Canada in Political Science, but I applied at NYU sociology and I'm wondering how the Soc departments in general view non-soc degrees.

Most of my undergraduate/graduate work has been 'sociology' related, and my interests fall right in line with some of the key areas of focus in the NYU soc department, but I do wonder if having two degrees in poli sci will cause a frown or two...

thoughts?

hey kcanuck,

my former degrees are in pol sci and hist, and i have applied to NYU soc, too. i've contacted two profs and they supported my application, noting that it's extremely competitive (?).

i think it is not a big deal in US schools whereas Canadian schools ask for a previous degree in soc (at least UBC and Toronto do).

good luck!

Ha, yes I had noticed that, although too bad those are not the two profs that I mentioned in my SOP or who I contacted regarding research interests. Neither of whom, needless to say, ever contacted me back.

Uh... You got snubbed by both professors and then still applied? And mentioned them in your SOP?

Having a PoliSci background is fine for sociology; I'd be more worried about the faculty not giving a shit about you and your research interests.

Misterpat:

Whoa, I'm not sure that looking at things that negatively would do me any good. NYU is a great fit for me, and a number of my professors had recommended the NYU Sociology dept because my research interests have been very consistent over the years; furthermore, the work of the two NYU profs in question were main sources for my thesis as well as 3 essays I have won awards on. It seemed only natural that I should emphasize this in my SOP.

I know a few people who have contacted profs and not heard back, but this in itself is not a reason to just give up and not apply!

Thanks for that though...

I know a few people who have contacted profs and not heard back, but this in itself is not a reason to just give up and not apply!

That's true and plus, sometimes you'll end up working with someone else anyways. Still, I'd feel snubbed lol. Sometimes it took awhile, but eventually all profs replied back to me. It's all in the timing too.

But anyways. I'm a psychology major and I applied to two sociology programs. They just fit well. The two programs also said that a degree in Sociology is not required, though a background in social science is. I think you're totally okay with PoliSci degrees. I'm sure it'll be helpful with the policy aspects. :)

getting no reply back from profs whose theories/works you have embraced in your past works and expressed this so in your email should be, imho, not a very good sign, especially if you plan working with them for your dissertation. it's a matter of responsibility and humbleness that make someone responsive to such things and if he/she does not show it at the beginning it might be risky later.

Kcanuck, what are your research interests if i may ask?

cordelia,

To answer your question: my thesis proposal incorporates, broadly speaking, political sociology, social stratification in capitalist societies, and the social thought of Pierre Bourdieu.

So this is interesting timing, but it turns out that one of the emails I had sent (a couple of weeks ago) was not properly sent, because this morning it was rerouted back to my inbox (sometimes happens with my work email). At least that cuts down my non-responses by 50% :roll:

I think I'll hold off on re-sending it, because the responses on this board have made me a lot more afraid of 'rejection' via non-response than I was before!

getting no reply back from profs whose theories/works you have embraced in your past works and expressed this so in your email should be, imho, not a very good sign, especially if you plan working with them for your dissertation. it's a matter of responsibility and humbleness that make someone responsive to such things and if he/she does not show it at the beginning it might be risky later.

Some professors have a policy of not answering emails from prospective students. Or your email could've ended up in the spam folder. You never know...

I wouldn't equate nonresponse with rejection. Professors are busy people who often don't have time to reply to all their emails or tell themselves that they'll respond later and never do. Regardless, sociology isn't a discipline where potential grad students are expected to contact faculty...

cordelia,

To answer your question: my thesis proposal incorporates, broadly speaking, political sociology, social stratification in capitalist societies, and the social thought of Pierre Bourdieu.

So this is interesting timing, but it turns out that one of the emails I had sent (a couple of weeks ago) was not properly sent, because this morning it was rerouted back to my inbox (sometimes happens with my work email). At least that cuts down my non-responses by 50% :roll:

I think I'll hold off on re-sending it, because the responses on this board have made me a lot more afraid of 'rejection' via non-response than I was before!

Little late to contact them to check your fit anyway, assuming you've applied by now.

Didn't mean to worry you too much, one non-response seems more likely to be because the professor forgot/was busy/etc. Two might have indicated you had no idea what you were talking about, sounded naive, groveled, or annoyed them in some other way.

Also, based on your interests, was one Jeff Goodwin? I e-mailed him last fall, and he wasn't very friendly. But he did respond to me, at least.

• 2 weeks later...