History of Art - MA/PhD 2009

sydney

Well, I only did an MA, not an MPhil. I'm not sure if Cambridge works on it's own system, but where I was at school in London the Mphil was not a terminal degree and was only awarded separately if the student didn't pass his/her upgrade to the Phd. So, I suppose by itself, if indeed you are only intending to complete the degree until the Mphil, it would appear as if you dropped out of a PhD program, unless as i mentioned, Cambridge works on it's own system, or unless you explained in your application that you entered intending to only complete an MPhil and explained why. There is plenty of space to do so, and I don't think it'd hurt your chances later of admission in the US if you did so successfully.

Actually, I think my applications were greatly strengthened by my UK MA. The great thing about the UK is that so many top scholars come to give presentations and such, and it's so casual over there..I was really able to socialize and meet people I never would have been able to in the US. In the back of my mind I always imagined England to be a kind of resort for scholars, everyone seems to pass through at some point. I learned how to socialize with my professors and likewise got great recs from some really top scholars in the field.

There is a lot of "go and figure it out on your own" and not so much hand-holding, but I think this made me a better scholar, I learned how to figure stuff out for myself and learned what questions to ask by being observant. Granted it was great for the MA, but in that environment I wouldn't want to do a Phd where more guidance is needed.

As far as job placement, I went abroad straight afterwards, so I couldn't help you on that. I imagine a degree from Cambridge would be well enough recognized as to help you out. It definitely helped me with graduate admissions in the US.

as for art/archeology, the department/name of the degree doesn't matter as much as what your research interests will be. At some universities, the department is the same, at some they are different, so I really don't think that'll be a problem. Not sure if I answered all your concerns, if you have more, please feel free to PM me.

• Replies 329
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Mims, a few questions:

1: did you receive any type of funding obtaining your MA abroad?

2: How long did it take you to receive your degree? I'm gonna say less than a year?

3: Would you mind stating what institution you went to? If not, I understand.

I've started to develop an interest in studying abroad for a MA with some stipulations, especially in the case of funding. I'm pretty positive that I can enter into a PhD program and if so, then I should expect at least a little funding so the idea of going for a MA is a bit daunting esp. without funding and abroad. I think I would really enjoy the challenges of learning a new system and having an entirely new experience.

Thanks! :)

1: did you receive any type of funding obtaining your MA abroad?

2: How long did it take you to receive your degree? I'm gonna say less than a year?

3: Would you mind stating what institution you went to? If not, I understand.

Not one bit of funding. Funding is a major problem with degrees abroad but, let's see. I took out FAFSA loans I think one year totaling $18,000 including school fees and my own spending (and some help from the rents :oops: ) but, since the degree is a full 12 months and it's really impossible to apply for a PhD right after the MA (you'd have to apply just as soon as you get there), I got a job after I finished and the loans are now paid.

The length of the degree is a pretty standard 12 months in the UK. I wished it were 2 years, but the work you do in 12 months there is actually roughly equivalent to the work you do in 2 years for the US MA.

Didn't go to Courtauld, but that's the place to go for western art.

PM me if you have more questions!