Recommendation from College Coach?

applecat

Question that I couldnt find addressed anywhere else:

I have been an active participant (letter winner + conference awards) in a nationally competitive football team. Is this something worth mentioning at all on an application? I know it does not directly relate to science or aptitute in research down the road; however, I do feel it can be important to demonstrate time management, cooperation with others, etc. I would like to mention it in part of my SoP because it is an integral part of who I am and what I have accomplished (also part of why I wasn't able to accomplish some things as well.)

What about having my college coach (nationally recognized coach of the year a few times) writing a 4th letter for me, or possibly even just my third. Though he isn't active in the science community, he is well worded, thinks highly of me, and would be a great advocate of my work ethic and other qualities since he is around me daily.

Any input and comments are welcome, thank you.

(PS. I know this is done often.....but just curious how my numbers would hold up in an application- 3.7 GPA with 1200 GRE (730Q + 470 V) + 5 AWA. Will contain strong letters of recommendation. I'm applying for ChemPhD).

No need to comment on the last part though. More curious aobut that last letter of rec and my SOP, thanks!

Uhhhh....NO. Well, maybe as a supplement, but definitely don't make it one of the required three.

My sister is a professor of engineering at a top-tier university. She says that in her department, LoRs from people like athletic coaches, residence hall advisors, etc. are viewed rather dimly.

I think there are some fields in which such a LoR would be viewed as a bonus. Business, for example. But science? Naaaah.

All letters of recommendation for research degrees should come from research based references. He'd be great for an extra letter, but certainly not one of the required letters of recommendation.

I disagree; if you are applying to schools in the South, a football rec letter will be all you need. You wouldn't want to cloud up all that gridiron glory. But in all seriousness, it would make a great fourth letter showing drive and (gasp) non-academic interests.

I hate to be harsh, but you are likely dealing w/a lot of science types who maybe resented the resources and treatments athletes got at college (and in high school). I might see the GPA w/that 'eh' GRE and think it was very likely you were given breaks in school. Sure, you may not have, and this may not be fair, but I don't know that I'd emphasize it by having one of your LOR from a coach.

Thank you for the replys, everyone. I have decided against asking my coach. There are actually two reasons for this: 1)From the input on this board which seems justfied, and 2)I feel awkward asking for one from him since I will be forgoing my Senior year of eligibility for the opportunity of graduate school (Not too many people on the team have ever done that! Ha, I dont know if anyone has ever went to grad school for sciences, to be honest).

Most of my teachers assured me I should have no problem getting into the schools I have chosen to apply to. I know they are not as elite as what many of you have applied, yet I feel the schools are right for me and will fit me well!

This has been a great site for me to come learn and to gather information from. Thanks again for all the input!