Anyone else applying with limited Econ background?

slothrop99

So, I'm applying to several international affairs/public policy programs, and I've never taken an Econ course. I'm currently enrolled in microecon, macroecon, and stats (for good measure) at the local college to shore up these deficiences. What I do have going for me is that I just got back from serving two years in the Peace Corps, and I have a good GPA from a top school and high GREs (770 v, 740 q). But I'm terrified that, because these programs are econ-intensive, my lack of undergrad coursework will drag the rest of my app down. Is anyone else worried that, despite what most of these schools claim on their websites (that you need not have an econ background - only that you must complete these classes prior to matriculation), you won't get in because of this deficiency? I'd hate to see a pile of rejections due to lack of foresight when I was an undergrad over 10 years ago...

Thoughts?

I'm applying to a few of the same programs and have similar concerns. I took courses in introductory economics and statistics, and my GRE scores are good (700V/780Q), as is my GPA. Prior coursework in economics, statistics, and sometimes calculus is a big deal at many programs, but I'm hoping my econ/stats combined with my GRE score will be good enough. If not, I'm hoping they'll at least admit me under the condition that I'll take calculus and/or microecon over the summer. In the meantime my wife (a math major) will be teaching me the math I'll need so I'll be ready in the fall.

So that's my situation. I'm hoping to get into at least 5 or 6 programs. My guess, from what you're telling us, is that you'll get into most or all of yours. Those GRE scores are exceptional, the two years in the Peace Corps will help a lot, and I think the fact that you're currently enrolled in those three courses will help as well. Best of luck.

I wrote to GW a while back explaining that I've worked for over a year in quantitative structured finance (securities trading), earned a 770 Q on the GRE, and had taken Micro and two Stats courses, but had not taken Macro. I asked would my application be a significant disadvantage as a result. In short, they said it probably would. Yar.

So, in short, it seems that these schools place a huge weight on having a strong econ/math background. (Then again, the statistician in me says my sample size is lacking to make such a conclusion)

Well, that's unfortunate. It's tricky, because they say that 1 semester each of macro- and microeconomics is required prior to admission. So you'd think you'd be ok if you took these classes now, in spring of '09. The key is whether or not they'll take your enrollment in these classes seriously, right? And why would they admit someone who is as-yet-unproven in econ when I'm sure they have plenty of other applicants who have taken these courses already and received A's? Damn, I'm scaring myself. Here's hoping we all convey other shining qualities in our apps that make up for lack of econ...

slothrop99:

I think you're very competitive. Since you graduated from undergrad a while ago, you'll have more work experience than the average candidate; that will make your application stand out. (Think about it this way: There are probably a bunch of candidates with macro and micro on their transcripts, but only one year of work experience on their resume. On the other hand, there are fewer candidates with many years of work experience, and their GRE Q scores tend to be lower.) You have a high GRE Q score, despite having been out of school for so long, confirming your aptitude in math. In addition, those courses you are taking now should count. Not only will they confirm your quantitative abilities (depending on the grade :) ) but they will also show you are willing to work hard. I graduated from college more than 10 years ago, and I wanted to shore up my near-gone econ, math, and statistics knowledge. I called the schools to which I was applying to make sure I would not be wasting my time.(I am applying for MPP programs at some of the same schools to which you are applying.) Most indicated that, while those classes would not be added to my undergrad GPA, they would be viewed favorably in admissions.

Good luck!

Honestly, with the numbers posted so far in this thread, I think the schools are going to take you guys.

Truthfully, I'm not too convinced of the rigor of the econ courses offered at a lot of these IR schools. SAIS is often touted as being econ-heavy, but I think that's a relative characterization placed upon it by people without math/econ backgrounds. I graduated with an econ degree from a large state university; I didn't see any benefits of going to a school like SAIS over GT or Fletcher, so I didn't even apply. Also, the rigor of a lot of undergraduate econ courses is not very intensive, especially principles courses. It would be absurd for a school to turn someone away with a year experience in securities trading just because he (she?) doesn't have intro to macro on his (her?) transcript.

I'm currently enrolled in microecon, macroecon, and stats (for good measure) at the local college...

But I'm terrified that, because these programs are econ-intensive, my lack of undergrad coursework will drag the rest of my app down. Is anyone else worried that, despite what most of these schools claim on their websites (that you need not have an econ background - only that you must complete these classes prior to matriculation), you won't get in because of this deficiency?

Thoughts?

As others have said, I think you are extremely competitive for these programs. I too only just recently took the econ classes to satisfy the requirements. Furthermore, I noticed that each school had a different take on the classes. Some required the econ classes, and even specified the number of credits each class should be. Other programs either simply recommended or highly recommended the classes.

Since I not too quantitatively focused, I stayed away from programs like Fletcher and SAIS that emphasized this. In your case though, again I say you have a very strong shot for admission.

I think I'd like some feedback as well. Now I'm beginning to think that taking a microecon and a calculus course this semester might be a good idea. There are two reasons for this: one being that it might help me with admissions and the other being that it would help me when I started a program.

I've applied to eight MPP/MPAff programs. Most of them have a heavy quantitative focus, and half of them are very selective. A few also "strongly recommend" statistics, pre-calculus or calculus, and microeconomics. As an undergrad (graduated several years ago) I took an introductory econ course that covered macro and micro (got an A) and stats (took pass/fail and passed). I also got a 780 Q score on the GRE, have a 3.8 overall GPA, and feel okay about the rest of my credentials. Will my quantitative background combined with my GRE Q score satisfy Princeton, Georgetown, and Duke? Would it help my chances if I was able to email the admissions offices an attachment showing that I was registered for microecon and calculus?

I also think that this coursework would help me prepare for a program in the fall. But I could also prepare on my own with my wife's help (she's a math major and helped me prepare for the GRE), and this would be much less expensive. Two courses would cost at least $1,000.

Also, for those of you who have already done this, how did you do it? Did you take the courses at a local college or online? Would an online institution like the University of Phoenix be frowned upon for this purpose?

Slothrop,

I think the local community college is probably the norm for this type of thing - I'm sure that will be fine. I'm wondering if anyone has gone the online route though - curious to hear what that's like.

With your credentials, I'd be very surprised if things don't work out for you this time. And if they don't this time, if you do well in your courses and reapplied next year, I'm sure you could get in pretty much anywhere.

From my conversations with program and admissions coordinators at various MPP programs to which I am applying, they all said that it was preferable to take any additional economics, statistics, and math classes in a brick-and-mortar institution, even if that meant attending a community college. (Again, these classes don't count as part of your undergraduate record. They're just proof that you can do the math.) Nevertheless, they said that for students who are unable to physically attend classes (e.g., you live overseas and there are no English-language courses offered), online classes are acceptable.

I took micro/macro and statistics and am taking pre-calculus through the online education branch of my state-of-residence's flagship university. I would probably avoid going with an institution like University of Phoenix, especially if you have another option nearby. Many large state schools have online education options these days, and most of them are accredited by the same body that accredits the institution. I can tell you that several schools in the DC area mentioned University of Maryland - University College as a reputable option for online classes to show that you are addressing quantitative shortcomings or that you are preparing yourself to return to grad school.

I found that an online class was the perfect way to review concepts to which I had already been exposed. (I also live overseas, so I had to go with the online option.) Nevertheless, I was able to work quickly on those (few) concepts I remembered and take more time on those I did not. On the other hand, the instructors are not always timely with grading and replying to questions. For example, for my stats class the professor would take two weeks to grade each homework, making it hard to stick to the schedule I had prepared for myself.

Linden

• 2 weeks later...
would having a limited econ background put you at a disadvantage for admission into mpa programs? or is it stressed more for those applying for thier mpp?

I think mostly for MPP, which tend to have a more quantitative focus, but it really depends on the program. If it was not mentioned on the website or in the literature of the programs you're applying to, I don't think it would be a disadvantage.

I have a limited econ background too! I took an introductory econ course like someone above (some macro and micro topics covered) and got an A but thats the extent of my experience in econ. I've also never taken statistics. I have however taken 10 college level math classes so I'm thinking not taking statistics wont be an issue (I have a my bachelors and masters in engineering). I think my biggest hurdle will be having the admissions committee understand my sincerity of wanting to do a ph.d. in policy rather than in engineering, hopefully my SOP does a good job doing that.

i have absolutely no econ/math experience and was admitted to GW

That's good to hear. I received a brusque email from them a while ago when I asked if not having taken Macro would pose a problem for my application.