PhD Public Health (epidemiology)

ec86

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went and had a look around the studentdoctor forums. Looks like the average GPA (based on whatever skews that sample, of course) is lower than I would have expected - plenty below 3.5, even. Of course, I couldn't always distinguish the MPH and PhD applicants. Still, gives me hope when everyone here (the GradCafe as a whole) seems to be 3.9 or thereabouts.

I just want one solitary acceptance. And for the waiting to be over...

haha, well it's good to know that we dominate the student doctor people at least!

I am getting so, so antsy waiting. Really, even a rejection at this point would at least be news. It's really the uncertainty that is driving me up the wall. But it's almost Feb when I'm sure the floodgates will open and then we will all be admitted with full fellowships!! (huzzah!)

Actually does anyone know if UNC-CH does interview for PhD programs? I saw some for the masters level policy track mentioned on the student dr forum, but nothing about PhDs. I mean it seems odd that they would interview masters level people and not PhD applicants!

Actually does anyone know if UNC-CH does interview for PhD programs? I saw some for the masters level policy track mentioned on the student dr forum, but nothing about PhDs. I mean it seems odd that they would interview masters level people and not PhD applicants!

I don't know specifically if UNC does. But looking on the results boards from previous years, it seems that the same programmes and the same years interview some and directly admit others (I'm thinking of JHU in particular, but also some of the UC schools I think). Maybe it depends on your potential advisor - whether your application gives enough of an impression or they need more info? Or what other schools your applying - to whether they think you'll accept a place if offered? Who knows?

Actually, that is probably the most unhelpful reply I've ever written. Sorry. Blame the waiting.

lol, if it makes you feel any better the health policy and management ranking is technically not in the top 10 for the PhD (which is sort of weird!)

Where does one find these rankings? I've seen US News but everything is just "public health" - I can't find health policy specific rankings anywhere.

So you think you'll go to UNC? Are you still waiting on other results?

Here, they are under public affairs for some reason instead

http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandr ... lth_policy

Well, I'm still waiting for JHU and GW (and Harvard, but I had a phone interview today and they are only admitting 2 people). It's really between JHU and UNC and I honestly can't decide at the moment (assuming I have a choice).

I guess for health policy there are interviews. But for epi and public health there does not seem to be any. I was just wondering because I'm expecting decisions to be made in the next couple of weeks and hopefully we're still in the running. :S

I dunno about epi, but I saw some health policy results that were both interviews and direct admits. I wonder which department the results listed as simply "public health" were?

I think I'm hoping against interviews, myself. Obviously, I'm hoping we're still in the running! No results up yet, which is a good sign for us. There are a couple of masters decisions on the board. I predict I'll wake up Thur morning to a decision (i.e. they'll notify Wed am).

If the person whose application got transferred between departments at Mailman is reading, I'm sure I'm not the only one very curious to know some more details...I understand it would be easy to identify you though, maybe you could make up a new username just for that? Pretty please?