Interview Attire

evenstar

I wasn't sure where to post this, but I hope here is okay since it's part of the application process.

I've been invited to an interview and was interested in getting thoughts on proper attire. (My concern of course isn't being underdressed..no, I would not show up in jeans) but I don't want to be overdressed either. I'm a female if it helps, does anyone have any thoughts? Wearing a suit as a yay/nay? Definitely wear a blazer/jacket? Heels, flats, doesn't matter?

Anyone had an interview and have any thoughts, what did you wear/what did other students wear etc? :) Thanks! :D

Yeah, I would wear black pants and a dark long-sleeve shirt/blouse. I tend to get a little screwed over for professional attire when it's cold outside - men have the opposite problem I think.

Out of curiosity, is it for counseling or sociology? Because I didn't think sociology did interviews.

Thanks!

Oh and it's for counseling :)

I didn't have an interview when I applied, but when I went to meet with my advisor for the first time after being accepted, I wore a suit. Suits convey professionalism and in cases like that I'd rather be overdressed than underdressed. Plus they're warm in the winter! Of course now he basically only sees me in jeans ;-)

If you've been in contact with a particular professor or the grad director, you may want to ask him/her directly. That way you'll be 100% comfortable and have one less thing to worry about during the interview. :) Good luck to you!

I would dress as for a job interview, i.e. wear nicest business-type clothes I have. I've been "overdressed" for job interviews (based on what the people in the job are wearing) and it hasn't been a problem, I don't think trying to look professional would hurt you here either.

When I had interviews I wore a suit to the Ivy League school (I'm a male), but wore a slacks an a collared shirt to the others (they were during the summer and a suit in 90 degree weather wasn't going to happen).

I don't think you need to wear a suit, but slacks/appropriate length skirt and a nice blouse/sweater should be appropriate. I wouldn't go any less than "business casual".