Yale Divinity School

Jufarius87

Figured I would give it its own topic, given the amount of recent posts made about this school.

Put your program and any relevant stats, ECs, research etc. Along with any info you have that may be useful to all of us.

I found out some interesting Financial Aid info via their admissions handbook, and from visiting.

M.Divs

5 Marquand Scholarships (academic achievement, leadership ability, spiritual maturity, Full tuition + 5k)

3 Nickerson Scholarships (commitment to ordained ministry, academic achievement, Full tuition +2.5k)

4 Tweedy Scholarships (academic achievement, pastoral leadership, Full tuition +1.5k)

given about 70 incoming M.Divs, 12/70=est. 17% get full tuition with stipend or living allowence

M.A.Rs

Marquand (academic achievement, leadership ability, spiritual maturity Full tuition +5k)

given about 50 M.A.Rs 5/50= est. 10% get full tuition with stipend.

Other Sources

William Sloane Coffin Scholarship (Social Justice)

Forman Scholarship (Overseas Student with financial need)

Sengel Scholarship (Student from Developing Country)

Ping Teh scholarship (Chinese-American, China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore)

Average aid amounts to 80% tuition

Average GPA of entering students lands at about a B+

Source Bulliten of Yale University, Divinity School 2008-2009, and information from prospective student open house.

M.Div

GPA 3.82/4

Academic: UG Honors Program, PHI honors Program, P.B.K

Languages: 1 year of German

ECs: elected position at church and two on campus, 3 public speaking awards

Work Exp: Applying from UG, Internship with a Court, some private tutoring

Research: Senior Thesis

GREs: Didnt Submit

Ordination: in process

PS: My Top Choice! Just in case Yale Adcomms lurk these boards >_>

I really don't have anything else to contribute except that I hope I get accepted. I'm not even sure how realistic my chances are at this point (due to my low ug GPA and GRE scores), but it is worth a shot.

I'm applying for the Concentrated MAR in Biblical Studies, and my profile is...

M.A. Jewish Studies (concentration Hebrew Bible) - 3.7

B.A. English, B.A. Religion - 2.7 (I worked full-time and double-majored. Ridiculous on my part)

GRE - v. 590, q. 600 AW - 4.5

Languages:

Hebrew - Modern (2 years), Biblical (incredibly proficient...4+ years), Mishnaic

Akkadian - 1 year (audit at Harvard)

Aramaic - 1 semester

German - 1 year

Greek (Attic) - 1 Year

Taught Pentateuch (upper-division) and Eng.101 at a small (~2000 students) liberal arts college

Participated in archaeology dig in Israel this past summer

Am presenting a paper at Trinity College in Ireland this February

---

• 2 weeks later...

i have applied to YDS as well. i visited twice and really like what they offer. during my last visit i spoke with the dean of admissions and the dean of students and they both confirmed that acceptance is not nearly as competitive for the mdiv program. i think this is pretty much across the board.

i have been accepted to The McAfee School of Theology at Mercer University in Georgia (i'm a native) which was my second choice. now i am just waiting to see what Yale has to say

what do you plan to do with your degree?

i have been accepted to The McAfee School of Theology at Mercer University in Georgia (i'm a native) which was my second choice. now i am just waiting to see what Yale has to say

Congrats...the irony is I am actually sipping coffee out of a McAfee mug as I read that. I was a Mercer undergrad (go Bears), but solidified my black sheep status by declining McAfee to go to Wake. It's a good program though. Just make sure you're a good theological fit with the lindbeckian postliberal experiment going on at Yale; my experience with Yalies and Dukies is the stuff doesn't translate into into actual congregation ministry well at all. And on the academic side of the ball, it seems to be getting declining playing time at national meetings, in publications, etc. But that's just one opinion; if you like the program and have experience with its grads you can certainly disagree.

this is ironic as well as i received a call from an admissions rep from Wake last week. how did you like the program? what would it have to offer to a recovering southern baptist with a much more ecumenical outlook?

That sounds just like Wake. It kind of is and isn't a baptist affiliated Divinity School; it has historical ties to many different baptist ties, and around 50% of the students are baptists of one shade or another, most of whom either started the "recovery" process. The good news is that the other 50% come from quite a few different denominations (there was a Coptic priest in my entering class, already went to seminary in Egypt 30 years ago but ministry had changed so he thought he might too!), so you'll get good (and bad) exposure to lots of different opinions on just about everything. Plus, as a recovering baptist you can shoot the **** with the professors who used to teach at Southern (Tupper and Leonard), and there are some good stories hear.

The downsides are simple; it's a smaller school, you don't have the depth of multiple faculty members in every subdiscipline. They supplement with adjuncts and visiting profs, but it's not going to have as much depth as Yale. As a younger program, it may also have a "?" as far as reputation goes. Wake is a top 30 program overall, but Yale has instant name recognition. Just for thought. If you have any specific questions shoot me an email through gradcafe.

I am hoping to become a military chaplain, then after a few years doing that go back for a Th.M + Doctorate and teach.

Good news about the M.Div.... I kill their GPA curve but Im not really sure thats what they are looking for necessarily (prospective apps I met there had insane work exp or grad degrees.), it makes more sense that the MAR would be more competitive than M.Div though.