I must be obsessed... (Breakdown of admission notifications)

adaptations

Clearly I have too much time on my hands (not actually true, but I am procrastinating like it's my job). I just went through the notification results of all 15 programs I am applying to. I compiled the results to see what days of the week most notices are given, and when in the process. I know - it's essentially useless info, and I should stop caring and just wait. Instead, I'm sharing it with you.

For the methods people. There are 199 data points dispersed over 10 weeks. Weeks with less than 3 days were rolled into the following or preceding week of the same month. All results are from the Political Science 2008 application cycle (lost 0.5% due to rounding).

Days of the week students were notified:

Mon: 14%

Tue: 29.5%

Wed: 22.5%

Thur: 19%

Fri: 12.5%

Sat: 2%

Sun: 0%

Notification results by week:

Last week of Jan: 2%

Feb WK 1: 9.5%

WK 2: 11.5%

WK 3: 22.5%

Wk 4: 13%

Mar WK 1: 23%

WK 2: 10.5%

WK 3: 3%

WK 4: 0.5%

April WK 1: 4%

hmmm...question: was there a difference in the timing of acceptances vs. rejections? Anecdotally, it seems that acceptances come earlier than rejections...

If there were more entries for my program, I would be doing the same thing ;)

Anecdotaly there isn't much I would read into it - with one exception.

If you get a phone call from a mysterious number on a Saturday - answer it! All, or nearly all, saturday notifications were phone calls admitting people to Stanford :)

Each school seems to differ in how they space out acceptances and rejections. If I felt like running the numbers, I am sure I could come up with a probability model of what the result will be based on the date and day of the week, but even I am not that crazy (yet). Plus, the model would probably be as accurate as if I based it on a correlation of what the weather was the day the notice arrived.

I don't have the patience to go through all my schools...plus it wouldn't tell me too much bc some programs I'm applying to have 2 or 3 posted results (WHICH KILLS ME bc I have NO idea what to think and apply corner doesn't have anything either!) -- but at quick glance it does seem to me that a lot of people found out on Tuesdays...

So beware of Tuesdays!!!

I just looked at the *very* limited data for my programs and schools (aside from two I already can assume I didn't get) and they all pretty much notify first week of March. Thank goodness February is a short month!

Of the seven programs I applied to, I only found 3 on the 2008 results list. One apparently sent out all its acceptances and rejections to arrive February 22-23, one accepts via email between March 1 and 20 (!), and one accepts via email in late February/early March. With a total of seven data points, this doesn't mean much, but it looks like I may have a long wait....

Searching through all of those took me five or ten minutes. I can only imagine how long the original breakdown took!

In total, this took me about 2 to 3 hours to compile. I like numbers and modeling and was just curious if anything interesting would come out of my work. In the end, I think the "day of the week" trends are notable. Hopefully others have found the results interesting.