Asking for two recommendations from work??

mj53

So my original plan was to have my boss at work write one for me, then I had two professors from school lined up to write my other two. But one of my professors I haven't heard back from and am now nervous.

My backup plan is that where I work I work with two doctors, both in my profession of choice, but only one of the doctors is actually my boss. Like I said he's writing me one for sure. Would it be a terrible move to have the other one write me one as well if my other professor flakes? I feel like it's kind of repetitive to have two from essentially the same source. Where I work is a small private practice so I feel like two from the same source would be frowned upon.

On the bright side he probably knows me a little better than the professor who may flake.

• 2 weeks later...

Are there any other professors you could ask? I think you should exhaust all of your options in that area before asking for another work reference, just because schools seems to prefer recommendations from professors versus from work. If none of your old professors work out, then you could definitely ask the other doctor. I don't think that doing so would hurt your application, because this other person can write about you from a different perspective, i.e. maybe they will point out things that the other letter writer would not.