Profile eval

tkulk

Thanks habanero. I am only applying to very specific programs (3-4 schools). I am hoping for a positive outcome but if not then I will strengthen my application and reapply. Your list of schools is quite thorough. Good luck with your applications!

No problem! I also looked at your CV and your undergrad institution and grades are very good. I would really bet money on you getting accepted to all schools (as long as your LORs and GRE are good...which I bet they are). You seem ideal for any research institution.

My score range is between 1400-1500. Not as great as yours. LOR - i think all will strongly recommend me. Got 2 from school and 1 from work. As far as SOP goes, what is your strategy? How deep are you going into your past research experience?

Ooh, the SOP has been SO hard for me to write!!!!! I've seriously been staring an an empty document and occasionally writing a sentence or two (just to erase them later). Obviously I know why I want to get a PhD, but putting it into convincing words has been a little difficult. How about you? If you want somebody to proof your SOP, I'm more than willing!

I spent a year and a half at a biomedical lab doing everything from writing instrumentation manuals to image processing software, so I'll probably touch on everything major I did there. My other two undergrad 'research' areas weren't really anything incredible...just some small grants and projects for professors. They will get mentions. I was a tutor for 2 1/2 years, and I will talk about that. I have no publications.

I'm applying to such a long list of schools because the chances of getting into most are around 7%. Undoubtedly, most of them will reject me--not because I'm not qualified, but because there are so many strong candidates! The requirements for Computer Science schools are much more strict than nearly any other program (perhaps Economics is the hardest to get into).

It's great that another HCI person is posting on here! It'd be funny if we ended up going to the same school. I'll be crossing my fingers for you. :)

Edited by habanero

I saw your general profile stats and i am sure you will do great. As far as research interests and SOP are concerned, my email is - tejasdkulkarni@gmail.com. Lets discuss things offline.

Edited by tejasdkulkarni