Is being a female in comp sci considered 'diversity'? Should I even bother mentioning it? I don't really feel like it, but I will if it is a common thing to do. I was one of two women in the upper div courses, so it might be important. Suggestions?

There aren't a lot of women in CS and some Engineering fields, but I wouldn't mention it. I don't know if you list your gender or not on your application, which is as far as I would go with mentioning it. Your gender has no impact on your research or your ability to be successful, it is essentially irrelevant. The only times I ever bring it up is when I'm applying for certain women-only scholarships

• 1 month later...

Perhaps there is a roundabout way that you could mention your gender without it looking like you're "playing diversity card."

For example, were you a leader in any "women in engineering" types of programs?

Edited by zep

I was the only female in one just-after-intro level CS class I took. It didn't seem to put me at any disadvantage. I liked the other students in the class, and did not feel ostracized or put down at all. So, if women were staying away due to the lack of a welcoming environment, maybe it's not so bad nowadays. Though I didn't mind being the only woman in the class, I thought it was kind of sad that more women weren't getting into the field -- at least at this school.

As to whether you should mention it or not -- I vote no. I'm sure the adcomms are aware of the gender imbalances that exist.