NSERC 2012-2013

dynasty007

I only had 4 first author journals and one second author but all where is IEEE trans. high impact factors. I also was a visiting researcher on top US schools and invited lecturer to some other schools and one best paper award and 5 grants (CGS etc.). I am on a waitlist and it would only be reasonable if you at least got waitlisted!!!!! I dont get whats going on with NSERC, two years ago 4 first author journals meant 100% PDF.

I am also on the waiting list for a PDF (with pre-approved IRDF). I initially thought that practically all hope was lost; but now I am wondering whether I have a good chance of getting an award since NSERC has recently stopped the practice of awarding more fellowships than the budget initially allows by predicting the number of declined awards... Just like many on this thread, I emailed NSERC asking about my ranking in the waitlist and was replied:

"Congratulations!

Unfortunately, we cannot disclose that information."

I mean, why congratulate me? ... for my pre-approved IRDF ? This is not exactly what I was wishing for.

Also so hard to believe! What on earth does it take to get a PDF in this country??

I was a bit shocked about mine, to be perfectly honest, but my mind is BLOWN by FailedNSERC's rejection. I know publications aren't everything in the rating scheme, but they ARE a convenient metric for measuring academic productivity and potential- and I'd say it's likely publication number and journal impact factors are fairly highly correlated with the quality of the proposal on the application. Not a hard and fast rule, but correlated.

It's shocking when someone as clearly qualified as Failed NSERC doesn't get a fellowship but I suppose that it's just a reality- the shrinking pool of funds for a large pool of perfectly qualified applicants and all that. Things that seem subtle on our side end up being very important for ranking.

I am a bit annoyed with the system right now. The lack of government support for something that has become a de facto step on an academic career path in most fields is just depressing.

I was a bit shocked about mine, to be perfectly honest, but my mind is BLOWN by FailedNSERC's rejection. I know publications aren't everything in the rating scheme, but they ARE a convenient metric for measuring academic productivity and potential- and I'd say it's likely publication number and journal impact factors are fairly highly correlated with the quality of the proposal on the application. Not a hard and fast rule, but correlated.

It's shocking when someone as clearly qualified as Failed NSERC doesn't get a fellowship but I suppose that it's just a reality- the shrinking pool of funds for a large pool of perfectly qualified applicants and all that. Things that seem subtle on our side end up being very important for ranking.

I am a bit annoyed with the system right now. The lack of government support for something that has become a de facto step on an academic career path in most fields is just depressing.

Now now, we do need expensive war-planes and lots of money for welfare and social programs. Sorry to go political :D ! But I agree with you, we aren't asking for 6 figure salaries, just money to make ends meet and if we are fortunate, able to put some money away.

Fund the people that are approved, reject the rest. But I suppose this is Canada; Google certainly wasn't started by grad students in Canada!

I got my PDF rejection yesterday. So embarrassing. I do not understand why they could not give the evaluation with the letter.

My record (Finishing my Phd in three years):

Publications: 7 first authors publications (impact factor not so high but good enough in materials engineering), several 2nd and 3rd author publications.

Oral presentations: 10 international conferences (3 best oral presentation awards)

Leadship: Organized conferences, Key readers of three jounals etc....

I will not have chance to apply any NSERC PDF fellowship since this was my second time and I will accept a PDF offer from another university.

Anyway, good luck everyone.

I am also on the waiting list for a PDF (with pre-approved IRDF). I initially thought that practically all hope was lost; but now I am wondering whether I have a good chance of getting an award since NSERC has recently stopped the practice of awarding more fellowships than the budget initially allows by predicting the number of declined awards... Just like many on this thread, I emailed NSERC asking about my ranking in the waitlist and was replied:

"Congratulations!

I mean, why congratulate me? ... for my pre-approved IRDF ? This is not exactly what I was wishing for.

I contacted NSERC again and they said this year the waitlists will have less chance compared to last year !!!!!!!!!! I dont get it every place they put you in a waitlist they tell you where you stand, whats so confidential about this!!!!

I contacted NSERC again and they said this year the waitlists will have less chance compared to last year !!!!!!!!!! I dont get it every place they put you in a waitlist they tell you where you stand, whats so confidential about this!!!!

I actually think they only gave 70 ~ 80 PDFs this year, its getting harder than banting or getting a direct faculty position :D

Edited by marmoor

I actually think they only gave 70 ~ 80 PDFs this year, its getting harder than banting or getting a direct faculty position :D

What! Only 70 ~ 80 PDFs ! Where did you get these numbers ? If correct, that would be a slap in the face to PhD education geared towards academic positions... I am still hoping for the same numbers posted last year ~ 130 PDFs , so around 9% chance (I mean literally) of getting lucky.

I just called NSERC and the lady was kind enough to tell me that : This year around 100 applicants have been awarded the PDF and almost 37-40 (in total) have been short listed. I guess NSERC should close the PDF program as it is just shrinking each year.

I just called NSERC and the lady was kind enough to tell me that : This year around 100 applicants have been awarded the PDF and almost 37-40 (in total) have been short listed. I guess NSERC should close the PDF program as it is just shrinking each year.

I guess she didnt tell you anything about waitlist chances?

Why would they so harshly cut the PDF budget two years in a row?? Also, NSERC announced last year that the numbers would be UP significantly this year! It the lady UBC2012 talked to was correct, that is quite outrageous, not to mention unfair and cruel.

And congrats marmoor... wow maybe you should be the one giving out PDFs! ;)

Why would they so harshly cut the PDF budget two years in a row?? Also, NSERC announced last year that the numbers would be UP significantly this year! It the lady UBC2012 talked to was correct, that is quite outrageous, not to mention unfair and cruel.

And congrats marmoor... wow maybe you should be the one giving out PDFs! ;)

Thanks alot, well this is the base salary paid to CS people in silicon valley (I dont know why we go for postdoc at all !!!) and this is where I got my offer :). I will start my own NSERC (called MOORSERC as of next year :)))))))

Thanks for your investigating efforts! Based on 100 PDF awards and a projection of a total of ~1500 applications, I expect the success rate to be below 7% for this year crop.

Thanks alot, well this is the base salary paid to CS people in silicon valley (I dont know why we go for postdoc at all !!!) and this is where I got my offer :). I will start my own NSERC (called MOORSERC as of next year :)))))))

You'll be getting my application package in the mail.

(it will be the one accompanied by the bag of delicious candy. Pick me! Pick me! :P )

How many applicants do they get for the Banting? I'm assuming that there are fewer applicants for it- and now, with a similar number of awardees- are the odds of getting a Banting actually *better* than getting a PDF?

"Congratulations!

Same here - wait list and pre-approved IRDF. I took a quick look at the list of organizations for IRDF and it does not look promising. This is pretty rough.

Can someone remind me, why would anyone turn down a PDF? And what are the chances?

to CHUNIL KIM

Congratuation! Can you give us some suggestion on how to be successful in pdf application?

Thanks

After all the stories about NSERC PDF (budget cut etc…), I feel very lucky that I am one of the successful applicants. It is indeed very difficult to win PDF and I don’t think the situation will get any better… It seems even worse than last year where the successful ratio was about 10%. I was so desperate this year (like most of you guys), since without PDF I am not able to keep my academic career. Most professors also have difficulties with their funding to accommodate students and fellows…

NSERC may have their side of legitimacy regarding huge cuts in various NSERC awards (recent economic recession etc.). However, I feel that their adjustment is particularly harsh on PDF awards…

Anyway, I provide brief qualification of wining NSERC PDF this year based on my application. Again this is very personal estimation (situation may vary case by case).

Publications: close to double digit first author publications (or maybe double digit) in recognized journals in the field in thought (For example in the field of Mech. Eng.: Proc. Royal society, ASME, Journal of elasticity etc…)

Presentations: I don’t think this is particularly matters comparing to the # of Publications at least you have decent number of conference proceedings (say 5).

Scholarships records: couple of major scholarships in the institution where you get your degree. And one or two provincially or nationally recognized awards (Major scholarship).

Potential supervisor and proposal: Top schools (e.g. Harvard, Berkeley, Stanford etc…) with recognized scholars in the field in consideration and marketable topics.

Others: demonstration of experience regarding leadership, interpersonal skills etc…

And good GPA and I guess most of you have GPA 4.0 or close to it.

My apologies not to provide exact details, as I do not want give an excessive impression for future PDF applicants in seeking their academic professions. Hope this helps.

Good Luck for everyone!

How many applicants do they get for the Banting? I'm assuming that there are fewer applicants for it- and now, with a similar number of awardees- are the odds of getting a Banting actually *better* than getting a PDF?

Wow it might be close! For 2010/2011, 23/289 (8%) success rate for NSERC's share of Banting!