Missed Registration date for Lit GRE Subject Test

Hey yall,

I tried to register for the Nov 12th test today and realized um I can't. The registration date passed, and I didn't even know it.

So advice on how badly this will impact my applications... should I not even apply to programs that require subject tests, b/c I'll just be submitting incomplete apps?

Anyone in the same boat as me so we can take vodka shots together...

-Haru

I remember reading somewhere on the website that there is a late registration, but it costs more.

I definitely don't think you can just drop in because when I took mine, they only had books for people that were on their sheet.

Yea the late registration and the normal registration have already passed. The test date doesn't even show up online when I go to the ETS website. Only April 2012 dates are showing up. q_q

There may be "stand-by" testing available, but ETS is extremely adamant about NOT guaranteeing you a seat. It's not the ideal situation to be in, but it basically allows test takers who didn't register to come to a test center on test day and--if anyone at that location canceled registration after the paper tests were sent out--then you can take the test as a stand-by. For registration plus an extra fifty dollar fee, of course.

The idea of having to prepare for the test without any guarantee that you will actually be able to take it might dissuade some individuals (understandably!), but it's definitely an option you should consider.

hmm... very interesting...

I am wondering what will happen if I just apply to a program and be like, "look, I missed the registration date for the test, but here is all of my other materials. please consider me and understand I can take the test in April." But I'm not thinking that will work.

hmm... very interesting...

I am wondering what will happen if I just apply to a program and be like, "look, I missed the registration date for the test, but here is all of my other materials. please consider me and understand I can take the test in April." But I'm not thinking that will work.

I might be wrong, but I think it might look bad to schools that actually require it because it might make them think that you are irresponsible, unprepared, or absent-minded, which are not qualities you want an ad comm to think.

I might be wrong, but I think it might look bad to schools that actually require it because it might make them think that you are irresponsible, unprepared, or absent-minded, which are not qualities you want an ad comm to think.

Yep, which is totally why I'm freaking out.

How many of the programs you're planning to apply to require the subject test? If it's not too many, you could always just not submit the subject test scores. It's not ideal, but maybe they'll overlook that one omission. One of the most prestigious schools I applied to for undergrad accepted me even though I forgot to pay the $75 application fee (and after the first friendly reminder I was too broke to pay it)...and even gave me a surprise merit scholarship at the last minute. Not that I'm advocating forgetting/omitting parts of applications, but there's always a chance that a school will like you so much that they'll ignore your missing subject test score. I'd say still apply to the programs that require the test that you absolutely couldn't live without applying to. The others, well, maybe you could forget about those. Unless, of course, you're like me and over half of your programs require the subject test. Then, I'm not sure what to tell you. :wacko: