More Theoretical MA's in Art History?

LAD

Hey, everyone.

I'm pursuing grad school in Art History, and I'm looking for a program that is perhaps more theoretically focused than most other MAs in Art History. I'm currently completing my undergrad in Philosophy and History. I chose not to attend grad school in Philosophy because nearly all the programs in the US have little focus on aesthetics or philosophy of art, and I really do want to focus specifically on art theory more than the various other fields of philosophy or history.

Any suggestions or advice you can give me? Am I pursuing an unrealistic goal here? I liked the look of SAIC's MA in Modern Art History, Theory, and Criticism. Thanks so much!

Are you interested in art historiography? It's a fine blend of your interests, although much of it is pre-20th century. However, I am not positive I know of a program that allows their students to focus solely on the theory of art history without a specific period or genre in mind.

• 4 weeks later...

I apologize for not following up sooner. I had a huge computer mishap.

Could you, specifically losemygrip, offer more examples on the Phd level? Rochester was helpful.

Also, perhaps the better question for me to have asked was What is the relation between theory and history in your experience or knowledge of MA programs in Art History? Do you learn a decent amount of art theory in an MA in Art History? Is it more than one class? I'm aware that you seem to do a bit of both in an MA in Art History, and I'm trying to gauge to what extent. Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...