Did I do ok?

Josh70

So just got done taking GRE and got my rough scores. I got 670-770 Q and 510-610 V. I know I bombed my essays. I am planning on applying to a PhD biology program and most schools I am looking for have a 1000 1200 min requirement so I know I meet the low end just not sure about the high end. I figure I did ok on Q and isn't that more important than V section? I am going to take the subject test soon and I am pretty sure I will do better on it then I did on GRE. Any input would be great thanks.

I think that it depends on what schools that you are looking at. Which ones, and how competitive? I think that if you come within range of the ave scores for the schools that you are looking at, or if the rest of the application you are sending is great, minimum GRE you should be fine. From what I know of the bio field(not as great as it should be), the quant score is good for where you want to be on ave, the verbal is slightly less then ideal, but solid. If you do well on the subject test, that should help you out a lot. But even then, it really depends on what the rest of your application looks like.

Thanks for quick reply. My tops schools are University of Wyoming, Portland University,  and Utah State University. Not really sure how competitive those schools are they are just schools doing work I am interested in and are places I wouldn't mind living. The rest of my application is so-so like 3.5 GPA two really good letters of recommend and 1 ok one and about 2 semesters of research but I am presenting my research at NCUR so hopefully that counts for some points.

I think you should be fine with those scores with those schools, if only because they don't see so many applications that they use the GRE as the first round of the selection process, compared to other schools. The only reason why I mention competitiveness at schools, is because some schools get so many applications that they use GRE scores as a sort of filter to get some people out of the process, and they still have good options, even if some of the people they are not looking at would also be good for their program. I think that you have a good choice of schools though.

Hey Josh, I think you should be OKAY with those GRE scores. I have similar scores and have been told that as long as you meet the cut-off for the program (1100-1200 for my programs) than you will be fine. What bio programs really want to see is that you have a solid research interests and you show a definite passion for them (i.e. in your SOP).