Publication Poll

t_ruth

Do you have any publications?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Do you have any publications?

• Yes
    • No
    • I have one (or more) in press

I don't know what field you're in, but my take on that is that science applicants-- those who are likely to have worked in labs as undergrads or after-- are more likely/expected (??) to have publications prior to applying to doctoral programs, and that those of us who do qualitative research in the social sciences aren't really expected to have published. Technically, I have publishing credits from two group book reviews I helped put together as an undergrad, but I voted "no" because that could hardly be said to count. I hope to publish findings from my master's work, but since I was doing the fieldwork this summer, I wasn't in a position to submit any papers prior to the application deadlines for this admissions cycle. (This was actually one of the reasons I was planning to wait until next year to apply, but my undergrad adviser said it wouldn't make enough difference to warrant the delay...) I'll be interested in seeing others' responses to the poll and thoughts on the "What's expected?" issue...

All the publications I'm on I'm a coauthor, no first authors yet. I have my name on 2 papers under review (one for Journal of Clinical Investigation), 2 papers published, 2 posters, and a oral presentation at the American Heart Assoc.'s Scientific Sessions 2008.

Seems like a lot of my "competitors" have publications, unfortunately I spent a year in research at a pharmaceutical and they have a particular aversion to publishing things, it seems. The data I generated was easily publishable, but it was just never going to happen. Also, some things I've discovered during my current project are easily publishable, but unfortunately the timing made it impossible for me to have anything even in press before applications. I was only about a month and a half into my project when I submitted 90% of my applications.

I'm in an odd situation re publications. I'm an author (approximately author 654297543) on a paper that is being reviewed now (after having been rejected twice for other journals), and on another papar that will be definitely published but hasn't been submitted (it's for Cochrane, if you've heard of them, hence the weirdness). So I didn't put either of these in my applications as neither actually exist as publications yet.

I guess, technically, I should tick "no" in the poll, but I don't want to!