The wait... part 2

MAN

I am one of those lucky people that have already heard back from a few schools in regards to admission. My earliest acceptance was Colorado State (I heard sometime in mid-December). When I got the acceptance letter, it said "Funding - Under Consideration."

It kind of reminds me of the great Dave Berry talking about going to Disney World. I don't know the exact quote, but the idea was that you get to Disney, and you wait in a line to get your tickets. Then, you take your tickets and wait in line to get on the monorail. After the monorail, you wait in line to get into the park. Finally, you are in the park, and you get to wait in line to get on Space Mountain (or any other attraction you prefer).

Yes, I'm excited to have been admitted, but that doesn't mean my waiting has ended. Now I wait to hear back about funding. Along with this, there are a whole new set of neuroses. Now I start thinking, "Am I a borderline admit? Does the wait for funding make me less likely to get any? What if they don't get back to me by the April 15th deadline?" and so on.

Well, after reading someone else's post about asking for funding, I got up the courage to ask the department for a time line on when a decision will be made. According to the person I asked, the school takes all their admits and ranks them using GPA, GRE, etc. Then they give out funding based on the qualifications. She said they start the process in Feb. and come to a decision in March.

This puts some of my worries to bed, but now I'm going to be watching the calendar for March to role around. The wait continues.

Well, after reading someone else's post about asking for funding, I got up the courage to ask the department for a time line on when a decision will be made. According to the person I asked, the school takes all their admits and ranks them using GPA, GRE, etc. Then they give out funding based on the qualifications. She said they start the process in Feb. and come to a decision in March.

That's kind of annoying. It's sort of like saying, hey, you're in - but wait - we still admitted people better than you! Insecurities for everyone, yay!