Writing Sample Length

PhillyPhan896

Hey everyone,

Just a quick (maybe ignorant) question about the appropriate length of the writing sample. For programs that stipulate a maximum length of 25 pages, does anyone know if that includes the title page and bibliography? I was foolish enough to choose a 33-page term paper for my sample, not including title page and several pages of bibliography. Getting it down to 25 pages of text, plus the title and biblio, is one thing. Reducing it to 21 pages of text is quite another. Any advice here would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

I think it's 25 pages, not including title page or bibliography. I've seen that on a few websites, but I would assume applications that don't say it explicitly would expect the same.

Someone answered this briefly in another thread, but just wanted more historian centric views on this. While citation style usually doesn't matter as long as it's consistent and follows a recognized style (or follows a specific publication's style). For a writing sample I was assuming people recommend Chicago rather than Harvard, since the full citation will be in the footnote, you don't have the space to waste on a bibliography, and something like Smith 2006b could be anything (especially if someone outside your field reads it). Feel free to disagree though, but just wanted thoughts before I made those changes.

Yes, I believe that it is standard not to waste the pages on the bibliography. My samples are from my MA thesis so I would have to cull through my bibliography to create one for each document. Not happening.

No title page, no bibliography. Just the actual essay itself.

So just to clarify, are you saying that we should not include a title page and bibliography in our writing samples, or that we are allowed 25 pages of text (in the instances where 25 pages is the prescribed length) with a title page and bibliography in addition?

Bibliography aside, I definitely assumed that a title page is necessary. I this not true...?

That's right. Your first page should be the introduction of some kind. Bib should not be included because you already have your footnotes (which should be Chicago or something very similar) that will inform the reader where you're getting your sources from.

Right on. No title page. No bib. Thanks ticklemepink

But wait, do you not even put the title on the top of the first page? I'm just thinking it might be weird if the title is not referenced anywhere at all...

PhillyPhan896--

Consider the following option.

On the first page, put the full title of the paper. In the first page header, use a smaller font to put the following information in the top right hand corner.

Your name

Writing sample in support of X

Date

For the rest of the paper, use the same size font as the body of your paper:

LASTNAME: Short Title

As a footer, put the page number. (My own preference is to use a Page X of Y format.)

Sigaba, would you recommend similar headers and footers for SOPs? Also, if the writing sample is an excerpt of a thesis, is it best to use the thesis title, indicate that the sample is an excerpt, and include the chapter title as a subtitle? Or would it be better to use the chapter title as the writing sample's title? Thanks.

Sigaba, would you recommend similar headers and footers for SOPs?

Yes. I'm a big believer in the benefits of having one's name on every piece of paper one hands off to other parties. The x of y page numbering allows a reader to confirm that she has all of the pages.

Also, if the writing sample is an excerpt of a thesis, is it best to use the thesis title, indicate that the sample is an excerpt, and include the chapter title as a subtitle? Or would it be better to use the chapter title as the writing sample's title? Thanks.

In this situation, I'd come up with another title for the writing sample. The new title would be a slight variation of the original. The reason for this new title is that I'd not want readers to mistake it for the original thesis nor a chapter therein.

A quick comment. I am more than happy to throw in my two cents on how one might handle certain aspects of the application process. However, I believe that if aspiring graduate students were to direct these questions to professors and to ABD graduate students at their current institutions, the queries might spark an extended face to face conversations. In turn, these conversations may lead to "hands on" assistance, serious chalk talk, and, maybe mentoring. (For example, a conversation on what headers to use in a writing sample could turn to a discussion of where a student is applying and from there, guidance on how to winnow down the list of schools.)

I do understand that some find it difficult to initiate these types of conversations. In my opinion the potential upside makes the risk worthwhile.

HTH.

Yes. I'm a big believer in the benefits of having one's name on every piece of paper one hands off to other parties. The x of y page numbering allows a reader to confirm that she has all of the pages.

In this situation, I'd come up with another title for the writing sample. The new title would be a slight variation of the original. The reason for this new title is that I'd not want readers to mistake it for the original thesis nor a chapter therein.

A quick comment. I am more than happy to throw in my two cents on how one might handle certain aspects of the application process. However, I believe that if aspiring graduate students were to direct these questions to professors and to ABD graduate students at their current institutions, the queries might spark an extended face to face conversations. In turn, these conversations may lead to "hands on" assistance, serious chalk talk, and, maybe mentoring. (For example, a conversation on what headers to use in a writing sample could turn to a discussion of where a student is applying and from there, guidance on how to winnow down the list of schools.)

I do understand that some find it difficult to initiate these types of conversations. In my opinion the potential upside makes the risk worthwhile.

HTH.

Thanks for your response, Sigaba, and for your recommendations. I would love nothing more than to walk into my adviser's office, or any of my former professors' offices, and have a face to face conversation. I got my MA overseas so my academic community is halfway across the world from where I am. When they respond to my queries quickly there is a 24 hour turnaround, but usually there is at least a week delay. I wish I could call them by phone or Skype but with a 10 hour time difference, it's difficult to coordinate. In person conversations are great because I can ask all of my questions without feeling bothersome, whereas with email, I feel like a nuisance if I ask more than two or three questions. This is why I was grateful to find this forum. Not only is there helpful advice, but I can feel a little less isolated.

I wish I could call them by phone or Skype but with a 10 hour time difference, it's difficult to coordinate.

oswic--

Thanks for your reply. A question: Would it be possible for you to turn your schedule upside down for a few days? That is, schedule a phone/Skype conversation on their time for 9 November and spend the previous days getting used to being sharp during that interval.

Would it be possible for you to turn your schedule upside down for a few days? That is, schedule a phone/Skype conversation on their time for 9 November and spend the previous days getting used to being sharp during that interval.

That is a good idea. I can do that. Thanks.