Good Course Policies

Eigen

I thought I'd cross post this thread from the Chronicle of Higher Education, just because there are so many excellent course policies that make grading, student interaction, etc. all so much easier.

http://chronicle.com.../topicseen.html

Discuss!

I'll reiterate that I really recommend starting to read the CHE forums as you progress through graduate school- the discussions of academia from the positions of faculty, administrators, etc. are all quite useful. Especially the discussions on the job market, how to sell yourself as a candidate, and so forth. There are regular posts from members of SCs on the do's and don'ts from their most recent batch of applications that can be quite informative to file away, whether you're going on the market next year or in 4 or 5 years.

Edited by Eigen

• 3 weeks later...

I just grade so I do not have a choice in particular policies, however I'm grading a class which can be very subjective, and so I've had some issues with students trying to get points back. Some have been warranted, but other times they were just plain wrong. It's definitely an annoying dynamic when they are just coming after you over it. Anyone else have this?

I just grade so I do not have a choice in particular policies, however I'm grading a class which can be very subjective, and so I've had some issues with students trying to get points back. Some have been warranted, but other times they were just plain wrong. It's definitely an annoying dynamic when they are just coming after you over it. Anyone else have this?

If a grade can go up after a re-evaluation of an assignment, then why can't a grade go down after a re-evaluation of an assignment? ;)

If a grade can go up after a re-evaluation of an assignment, then why can't a grade go down after a re-evaluation of an assignment? ;)

A solid point, after a test a girl came to me about her test and I noticed I had made a mistake grading another question (giving her an extra 8 points). The problem she was complaining on she wasn't entitled any more points, so when I had pointed it out she promptly left and didn't submit it for a regrade. Her grade wasn't very high anyway so it wasn't breaking any curve.

• 2 weeks later...