Paul & Daisy Soros Fellowship for New Americans

PurpleBrain

hey everyone!

i applied for the soros fellowship for new americans. i submitted my application about 2 weeks ago. (deadline is nov 1). has anyone else applied? perhaps we can wait it out together. any past winners here?

looking forward to hearing from some of you.

• 3 weeks later...

I will like to apply for this scholarship in the next few years :). So, I can wait it out with you just to see how the application process goes :D. If you don't mind me asking what exactly are your stats such as any prestigious fellowships or anything.

Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Their website says that they "will send notification to those who are and are not finalists on or about January 6 2012."

That's a lot later than the formerly advertised mid to late December notification period :(

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know of anyone who's gotten an invitation to interview yet? I worry that "by Jan 6" means that's when the rejections come out (assuming accepts come in earlier).... Also, are there any other forums talking about this fellowship? Thank you all!

Share in the anxiety -- I don't know of any forums and there seems to be very little information about what is happening. I would take their notice at face-value though and assume that the decision (either + or -) is not going to come out until the new year. Maybe the delay is a result of a huge boom in applications...? :-/

This fellowship app was a very intense amount of work, but I think even the best of candidates understand it is a total crapshoot. I applied in parallel with the grad school app process without being first admitted to schools, so that alone might be a big factor against me?

I haven't heard anything either but have been out of the country so I wouldn't even get the snail mail/call until I am back. I was hoping there would be an email...If any of you find out the answer (yes/no), please post! Good luck to everyone!

• 1 year later...

Hi Guys, 

what did you write about in your essays? I was just recently told that the reason I was rejected is because I did not use "I" in my essays. I wrote about immigrant experience and how its linked to activities that contribute to the society. So, was I wrong? was I supposed to talk about my own experience???? PLEASE explain...