Notifications, anyone?

Lizzle

Got a rejection letter in the mail yesterday from Harvard... now I'm just waiting on Yale. Then the next stress-fest of decision making will begin...

Sorry to hear that...mine should be arriving soon!!! Hopefully you have some other good offers!

Woaaaaah okay everyone, ready for the "way fuct story of the day" ?

I wrote to a program and said 'hey, what's up' ?

They said, "we sent out admissions offers last week and you weren't included, but only because your application was incomplete."

"WHAT?" I replied "I have an email from your dept secretary claiming my application is complete back in January."

"Yeah, but we tried to contact you several times about your incomplete app and you never replied."

"That's kind of impossible.... I've never had a problem with my email."

"Well.... oops"

So, I'm not prone to swearing but WHAT THE FUCK??????????

That's not only not cool, I think the emails I saved stating my app is complete make a case for me to raise a serious ruckus :evil: .

With everybody posting some or the other results each day, I have started to feel that maybe even I should become proactive and start enquiring from the departments. Any suggestions here?

I am really scared now. Its just unbelievable as to how a complete application is rendered incomplete. And what is thing about not sending rejections and only sending acceptances? :cry:

I haven't been around because I have been feeling seriously low. Out of my remaining 7 programs, five have posted acceptances, which means that I've almost certainly been dumped

Hi Tonights,

Can you please tell us as to which 5 programs you did apply, for which acceptances have been sent already?

I have heard that UCLA has NOT sent out acceptances yet, because they are elbowing for more funding. I have also heard from a current student that UNC-CH has sent out all acceptances and waitlistings by email. If you have not heard from UNC-CH, then I'm afraid you have been rejected.

I just got my first rejection today (Berkeley), and it was oddly freeing. I'm sure there are several more to follow, but it mostly was nice to be know that the schools didn't just forget about me or lose my file. :)

Seriously, this waiting business is getting annoying.

Tell you what, you call my schools, and I will call yours. We can claim to be doing statistical research on admission result time frames in the recession era.

(only partly joking :wink: )

That's not only not cool, I think the emails I saved stating my app is complete make a case for me to raise a serious ruckus :evil: .

Oh my lord, Medianerd. That chilled my blood. I'm really curious what department is THAT disorganized, and I am so so sorry that this happened to you.

Well I'm officially freaking out. I just read that someone not only was unofficially accepted to Stanford by a potential adviser, but that other people have heard unofficially as well?!?!? GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. I would love to say that I will remain optimisitic (which I have not since I applied) but this is absolute torture. Has anyone received an email/phone call/ or post from Stanford at all?

Congratulations to everyone who has been accepted!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Oh my lord, Medianerd. That chilled my blood. I'm really curious what department is THAT disorganized, and I am so so sorry that this happened to you.

I might name the school after the matter has been settled (and I am fighting with them now... don't want to go there at this point, but want some sort of justice...)

Meanwhile, a pep talk from my SO last night has me just attempting to focus on other things... like my peanut butter and banana sandwich ;)

Well I will let you know the second I know something! I have emailed them twice asking for a general time period for notifications, and in typical academic fashion, they are not helpful at all and no one has replied to me. I do not live in the States right now so I'm unable to harass them on the phone since that would cost me a fortune. I just don't understand how some people already know and the rest do not. perhaps they take pleasure in torturing us? :?

They said, "we sent out admissions offers last week and you weren't included, but only because your application was incomplete."

"WHAT?" I replied "I have an email from your dept secretary claiming my application is complete back in January."

"Yeah, but we tried to contact you several times about your incomplete app and you never replied."

May I ask which school this is? And I really hope that you give them hell- they should never be so casual about your future like that. GOOD LUCK!!!!!!

I haven't been around because I have been feeling seriously low. Out of my remaining 7 programs, five have posted acceptances, which means that I've almost certainly been dumped.

I am with you Tonights. I have been avoiding the boards. I called my schools and was told results would be a couple of weeks. I have been trying to be patient...obviously I slipped today! :(

"That's kind of impossible.... I've never had a problem with my email."

"Well.... oops"

So, I'm not prone to swearing but WHAT THE FUCK??????????

I would be so angry!! :evil: At the VERY least they should refund you application fee.

Supriyasingh, I've been told that Texas A&M plans to notify officially in mid-March, if that helps with the waiting. (I wonder if we're in the same archaeology subfield!)

Medianerd, that's messed up. At least you can demand a refund, I agree.

I'm sorry, Medianerd! They really should refund your application. Demand it. Seriously.

You know, the more I think about it the more annoyed I am that schools don't provide some sort of explanation when they reject you. I mean, they make serious cash from application fees and, frankly, it bothers me, esp. in light of cases like this.

I'm just grumpy about the weather, tho :)

medianerd - that's terrible, but honestly, probably a good indication of how lax the dept can be. anyhow, if they were unable to reach you through email, they should have tried to call! nightmare scenario, really.

I highly doubt they ever tried to reach Medianerd through email and I think the contact person was probably lying out her ass. Poorly.

Very bad form.

Yeah, I'm fairly certain I'm being lied to. The icing on the cake was when I forwarded the emails stating that my app was complete as well as the missing parts of my application, the reply I got back (just now) was:

Well, decisions have been made. We'll look at the documents you just sent, but can't promise anything.

No acknowledgment of error on their part, of wasting my time and money, of taking me out of the application pool solely because of their disorganization and incompetence.

If I'd ever had another case of 'lost email' at my school address I might give their claim some credence.

Huh.... maybe I haven't heard from many schools not because they haven't attempted to send me anything, but because my email is broken (kidding). :roll:

Thanks for letting me rant!

F&%$ 'em, Medianerd! Grrrrrr...

Btw, does anyone know anything about Johns Hopkins or UT-Austin? Just curious.

I got a call from my prospective advisor at UT Austin asking to set up a time to chat about my interests, and after fielding a few of the usual questions he let me know that the committee had met that afternoon and accepted me with funding. I'm not sure if only the physical faculty met or not, but I do know that they're looking to fill up to 5 more fully funded positions within the subsidcipline. .