Notifications, anyone?

Lizzle

Hey,

Just wondering if anyone has received acceptances or rejections yet. I know it's early, but I received a letter this week saying that I was on a waiting list for one PhD program. My MA advisors had already warned me that waitlisting would be common this year, due to funding cuts at universities. Has anyone else had this so far?

Cheers,

Liz

Wow, that's quick. I'm still getting "your application has been received" and "you are missing a letter of recommendation" type emails from programs with December and January due dates.

Same here. And the last one of those I got was over a week ago, lol.

I'm applying with a BA and fieldwork research experience. My professors advised me that if I knew I wanted a doctorate, it was best to just go for it directly. I took a lot of graduate classes my junior and senior years of undergrad, so I feel like doing an MA would be repetitive at best (not to mention unnecessarily costly).

I am actually a little bit insecure about applying with only a BA. I hope it will not count against me that I don't want to pay to repeat classwork I have already had. Some days I convince myself that I will be rejected outright because I'm not applying with a masters. Today is one of those days.

I've heard that most students apply with just a BA...I'm currently a master's student as well, but just because we're the majority (so far) on this board doesn't mean that it extends to reality (it probably just means we're procrastinating and should be writing our theses).

I wouldn't sweat the BA/MA thing. I got my MA, but it was mainly because I was so undecided about my areas (immigration or religion? Africa or Latin America?). Of my friends who pursued PhD work in Anthro, there was definitely a mix of educational backgrounds.

As for my waiting list situation, I'm going to talk to some of the profs in the department and get the scoop. I know there have been funding cuts across the board, so some departments are admitting smaller classes this year. That said, I've also been told by former profs that some schools with traditionally larger cohorts are cutting back, while others that typically have less funding are actually ramping up on acceptances. Huh???

Anyway, trying not to twiddle my thumbs and stay positive...I imagine there's quite a bit of waiting left to do!

Cheers,

Liz

I'm applying with just a BA as well. It might hurt our chances but I don't think it will destroy them anywhere, none of the schools I visited take only people with MAs. More depressingly, at one of my schools, they said they only have a couple of fellowships each year, and they're trying to offer them to people with just BAs more often but the MA students are often just so well-qualified. Oh well! I'm also applying to 3 MA programs :) Honestly, I'd be surprised by rejections everywhere, but I'm quite concerned about funding....

I'm concerned about funding too, but I'm sure that if I get accepted somewhere (which is the first hurdle), I'll at least be given something and I'll be able to make up the rest with loans. It doesn't have to be a full ride as long as it's something, you know?

Glad to see someone else trying with just a BA. I might be overly paranoid about it, but then again I'm overly paranoid about everything at this point in the game.

I'm coming out of undergrad with a BA and a BS, but I've got a considerable amount of fieldwork/research under my belt.

Most of the programs I'm applying to are PhD, but I'm applying to 3 MA programs as well because:

A) One is in a non-anthropology discipline, but ultimately related to what I want to study

B) One won't let me apply for the doctoral program straight out of undergrad

C) One department lost my paperwork and I missed PhD consideration because of it (DEATH :twisted: )

Oh, I'm physical BTW.

You can tell that your specializing in physical based on the programs you're applying to ;) Just like I bet 'sunshine' is interested in forensic anth...

Touche, Dubya. By that rubric you can probably guess which specialty I'm interested in as well.

Although I'm sure I have little to no idea where the good cultural schools are...