Notifications, anyone?

Lizzle

I got an email from a professor at one of my schools... They want me to come up meet the department and check out the program, sometime in the next few weeks. (I figure it should be no problem, it is about a five hour drive.)

Is this an interview? Should I be jumping around? What the hell am I going to wear?

Sunshine, first, I think that this can only mean good things. It's not like they are inviting everyone to come and meet them, so I'd bet you are pretty high up there on their list! Congrats!! I'd say go ahead and jump around a little :)

I've been thinking about your question as to what to wear . . . that's tricky. I'm going to a campus visit soon, and I'm struggling with the same thing. I'm leaning towards wearing something not-jeans - ie. khakis with a sweater and comfy shoes, in case the campus is big and there is some sort of campus tour planned. Anthro depts tend to be pretty relaxed, I think, so unless you look like a total slob, I doubt they'd really take off any points for your outfit (at least that's what I'm telling myself!)

So, my question is...when the hell do we start hearing from schools??? Which is to say schools other than the one that waitlisted me (unless, of course, they're contacting me to let me know I'm in, in which case I'll buy them flowers and take them out to dinner).

Sorry, had to get that off of my chest :oops:

Go anthro!

Well, I'm probably not the best person to answer this question since I wake up everyday and think "today I will hear from a school." That day turns out to be a bust so I say the same thing the next day. Obviously I fail...a lot. The good news is that I will surely hear from a program tomorrow! :D

So, my question is...when the hell do we start hearing from schools??? Which is to say schools other than the one that waitlisted me (unless, of course, they're contacting me to let me know I'm in, in which case I'll buy them flowers and take them out to dinner).

Sorry, had to get that off of my chest :oops:

Go anthro!

Well most likely end of Feb-March and even April

Sunshine, first, I think that this can only mean good things. It's not like they are inviting everyone to come and meet them, so I'd bet you are pretty high up there on their list! Congrats!! I'd say go ahead and jump around a little :)

I've been thinking about your question as to what to wear . . . that's tricky. I'm going to a campus visit soon, and I'm struggling with the same thing. I'm leaning towards wearing something not-jeans - ie. khakis with a sweater and comfy shoes, in case the campus is big and there is some sort of campus tour planned. Anthro depts tend to be pretty relaxed, I think, so unless you look like a total slob, I doubt they'd really take off any points for your outfit (at least that's what I'm telling myself!)

I agree with crofty. Last year I was an adjunct so I was privy to the talk by faculty regarding applicant visits. There was definitely negative comments about those that dressed in jeans, t-shirts, etc. The faculty actually take the time to get current grad students to participate and talk to the potential students. It is important to them as well. Slacks/sweater and definitely comfy shoes would work great. Oh and don't forget the BIG jewelry! You know all us anthros wear BIG jewelry! :lol:

Thanks for the fashion insight, zygomatic. It's nice to know that my inclination to leave my stilettos at home was correct :) Do you think jeans are ok, though, for the "informal" (the school's term) saturday brunch?

I think it would be fine as long as they are nice. You know, no holes (which I am sure you already know :wink: )... Besides, you are still a struggling grad student. Can't expect you to have the whole professional wardrobe yet. I think 1 day "dressy" (slacks like mentioned before) and one day "informal" would be perfect.

Good Luck. :)

I am not sure I want answers today. What if it is sad..."Happy Valentines, and oh yeah we don't want you!" Hmmm think I would rather bear the wait then ruin the weekend.

Of course in 5 minutes I will change my mind and be screaming at the computer "GIVE ME ANSWERS!" :(

I am not sure I want answers today. What if it is sad..."Happy Valentines, and oh yeah we don't want you!" Hmmm think I would rather bear the wait then ruin the weekend.

Of course in 5 minutes I will change my mind and be screaming at the computer "GIVE ME ANSWERS!" :(

I take it that the Missouri post on the results board wasn't you then?

I take it that the Missouri post on the results board wasn't you then?

Haven't heard from them yet. The post didn't look to favorable, did it? Now the nerves have just revved up. I', gonna tkae a lap around the room and give them a call.

I wish the other person all the luck in the world and hope they get in everywhere else they applied, but their loss is your gain zygomatic. Until you get a response, you're officially in competition with one less person.

Early preparation. Our PhDs take longer than most fields so they're testing us. If we crack under the pressure of waiting for a response then we'll surely crack when we're out doing fieldwork :)

You just made me snort my drink!

I know most programs contact via email or phone these days, but I'm irritated that my mailman has chosen this window of time to flake off again. This means our mail has been arriving just about every other day. No use complaining- it just happens sometimes around here :roll:

ETA- Congrats zygo! Happy Friday the 13th to you! :wink:

I am just about to go crazy or jitter myself right off my chair at work, because I've heard *nothing* from my schools except that they've got all my application bits. Usually I love how laid-back anthro faculty are (they always seem to get their classes scheduled later in the morning...all that BIG jewelry :) ) but this is ridiculous!

About the Berkeley acceptance calls, does anyone have a guess as to whether it went to all the finalists they will consider, or just the cream-of-the-crop? Should I steel myself for a rejection, or wait for round two?

And is anyone else here applying to Columbia cultural? It seems not to be a big school on this forum, maybe because of the heavy physical bias. But for me: they do East Asia AND urban anthro, so it would be a dream program for me.

Ugh, I'm just so nervous...second-guessing so many things I did. For one, I did not contact a single professor at any of the schools I'm applying for. I didn't feel like I had any questions I really needed to ask them (I got so much intel from my LOR writers), and decided to err on the side of not bugging them with fluff emails when everyone else was probably trying to get their attention and even ask serious questions. Also my undergrad adviser knows several of the professors I want to work with (and knows I want to work with them), and I figure him putting a word in with his LOR or a call or email would have much more impact than anything I could say. But now I'm worried that with funding so tight, anyone who doesn't wave their arms and scream will just be overlooked. My credentials are fine, especially the numbers, and I have what I think is a really interesting project description in my SOP, but I don't know if I will stand out enough.

Yes, I know, I hear the tiny violins too.

Undergrad: UNC-Chapel Hill

Applied: 9

Rejected: 0

Accepted: 0

Yes, I had a pretty solid research proposal in my SOP as well. I know exactly what I'm interested in doing and I just laid down all my cards hoping that someone would want me on the strength of my go-getter attitude. :D I hope that makes us stand out among other applicants who might just waffle about various vague interests in their SOP.