Notifications, anyone?

Lizzle

I opened my mailbox a few moments ago to find a small envelope from my top choice program. I thought about how much I would have really loved to go there and said "oh well." I proceeded to open the letter, hoping that it would be a nice rejection....

"The faculty has recently met to consider applications...blah blah blah...we are pleased to inform you that you are a finalist...please keep this in mind as you make decisions for grad school."

Hey Dubya what school you a finalist at?

Ahhhhh cruel! I just received the official email from the program I've been admitted to (so far). I thought the original email I received was the official offer, so when I saw this automated email I assumed it was from one of my other schools.

Alas... trying to slow my heart back down. Too many places start with "University of..." which is where my email clipped the subject line.

Nope, it was just one of those super generic messages that say "Application decision from University of X" and you have to log into their website to check it. I was halfway paranoid they changed their minds.

Next year's applicants will read this stuff and smile a bit I'm sure, but I feel like I'll never make it to mid March.

Well, were they at least nice and had "Congrats" in the subject line or something? My worst fear is to check my e-mail and discover a message from Harvard with the subject being "F*** Off!"

I've been expecting that or something along the lines of "ABSOLUTELY NOT" or "SERIOUSLY?"

Or maybe just a simple ":("

You know what, though? If the subject line was "F**K OFF" then it would spare me the inevitable four seconds of horrible, hopeful build-up time between looking at my inbox and experiencing the pangs of rejection. So I'm all for that.

:lol: That is true. When I was applying to Masters programs I hated getting emails and not knowing until halfway down the page. Just put it in the subject and save me the horrible crash.

I'm kind of with you guys. Having to listen to my heart hammer in my chest while I find where I saved the PIN for an app website, copy it, enter it into the form, find where the decision has been posted, and click on it... well, it's long enough to kill me, I think.

So I realized in addition to a Friday the 13th this week there's one in March. I don't know why, but I find this idea funny and bet a lot of notifications will happen to go out on those days, forever cementing the 'bad luck' thing in some folks' minds (or to be optimistic, converting it forever to a 'lucky day').

I got an email from a professor at one of my schools... They want me to come up meet the department and check out the program, sometime in the next few weeks. (I figure it should be no problem, it is about a five hour drive.)

Is this an interview? Should I be jumping around? What the hell am I going to wear?