Reapplying to GSPP/Harris/Sanford

Starshane

Hi everyone,

I am an international student graduated last year. I applied for Fall 2011:

Schools Admitted To: NYU Wagner($0)/ CIPA($25000)/ Heinz($3000)/ USC(half tuition)

Schools Rejected From:GSPP/Harris/Sanford.

Undergraduate GPA: 3.8 equivalent

GRE Quantitative Score: 790

GRE Verbal Score: 660

GRE AW Score: 3.5

Years of Work Experience: 1

I ended up not going anywhere and started working at a top ranking consulting firm. Yet I wanna keep trying for GSPP (because I don't have to provide GRE or TOEFL or referral letters if I'm reapplying). (why not MBA? well, Chinese have very different mentality about grad schools. Doing a MBA in the states and going back to China to continue consulting is not worth the price)

I wanna make it count this time so I really need to work on my SOP! Would somebody ever got in to these schools stand up and throw some light on how to impress the adcom and what qualifications should I exhibit and especially emphasize when applying? For example, interested in development / social equity/ teamwork / consulting, etc?

I noticed that GSPP has extraordinarily few Chinese....so should I even bother reapplying?

Hi!

I am not enrolled at any the places. But I can tell you this: the chances of getting admission are actually better this year. People are not getting funding from many sources especially funding from employers has dried up. In such a situation people are not willing to leave their jobs to get a degree in public policy.

There is the popular view that a lot of people who dont have jobs are heading to the universities or freshers who were set to join the job market are continuing with education but that is not borne out by data. Fewer people are willing to invest the money and time because of the uncertainty.

So by all means improve your SOP but you might just get lucky this time.

All the best!

Hi!

I am not enrolled at any the places. But I can tell you this: the chances of getting admission are actually better this year. People are not getting funding from many sources especially funding from employers has dried up. In such a situation people are not willing to leave their jobs to get a degree in public policy.

There is the popular view that a lot of people who dont have jobs are heading to the universities or freshers who were set to join the job market are continuing with education but that is not borne out by data. Fewer people are willing to invest the money and time because of the uncertainty.

So by all means improve your SOP but you might just get lucky this time.

All the best!

Thanks, that's kinda reassuring and I agree with you. I know that time's rough in the states and many undergrads have trouble finding a job this year. Hopefully it can come through!

but I still need someone to look at my SOP ........I'm rewriting it, the (I don't even know how many) time.

Wouldnt this be a question the Goldman admissions team be able to answer best? Most GSPP students wouldnt be able to help you (unless in the off chance you find someone who has also got turned down and then accepted again).

Wouldnt this be a question the Goldman admissions team be able to answer best? Most GSPP students wouldnt be able to help you (unless in the off chance you find someone who has also got turned down and then accepted again).

true, except that the Goldman adcom's answer costs $90 and the risk of rejection......

You have a good profile. I think you'd be competitive. Perhaps email them to ask what they may be looking for in re-applicants? I would imagine they'll say the obvious (i.e. more work experience, greater time improving your profile) but may depend on how you phrase the question. Good luck!

I am a current GSPP student and I honestly can't say specifically why you were not accepted in your first round of applications. GSPP is being bombarded with applications with the rough US economic situation, so the admissions process has become more competitive recently.

To be perfectly honest with you, I'm not trying to curtail you from applying, but GSPP has a very U.S. focused curriculum, and I think that's part of the reason why we don't have very many international students, including ones from China. Our quantitative curriculum could definitely be applied in any situation, but the rest of the core courses have a very strong domestic focus, and if you want to get any kind of international content courses, you would have to do so in other departments. Keep that in mind when/if you choose to re-apply.

I am a current GSPP student and I honestly can't say specifically why you were not accepted in your first round of applications. GSPP is being bombarded with applications with the rough US economic situation, so the admissions process has become more competitive recently.

To be perfectly honest with you, I'm not trying to curtail you from applying, but GSPP has a very U.S. focused curriculum, and I think that's part of the reason why we don't have very many international students, including ones from China. Our quantitative curriculum could definitely be applied in any situation, but the rest of the core courses have a very strong domestic focus, and if you want to get any kind of international content courses, you would have to do so in other departments. Keep that in mind when/if you choose to re-apply.

Thanks a lot Nimesis! I am also an international student and was considering GSPP as one of my top choices. I will spare the application fee and apply to more suitable schools.

Glad that you saw my post and replied, thanks very much! I did heard that GSPP, or UCLA, USC, has less international component than other programs along the east coast. At first I thought it's acceptable since I don't like a program with too many international students anyway...... But taking a second thought about it, a domestically focused program won't give me much edge in working in China or other places other than the US. I almost regret that I did apply last year... Thanks again for your advice!

Thanks a lot Nimesis! I am also an international student and was considering GSPP as one of my top choices. I will spare the application fee and apply to more suitable schools.

What you have in mind? in terms of international component, maybe MPA, or master in international development and sort of things, is a better choice than MPP. I kinda regret that I even bother applying MPP.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi clover, glad that you offer to help. The deadline for GSPP is 2nd Dec. and I've given up Harris and Sanford due to unfavorable information about them. I already submitted my application, so thanks again~

I just submiited my apps for MPA. If you still need someone to read your SOP and help you out with it, PM me :)