Theatre Programs

girlseekingphd

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for letting me know! This has been driving me crazy. I hope I hear soon (yes or no, at this point I don't care. I just want to know!!) because if I get accepted, I'd like to visit the campus/faculty. I live in CA, so it's not really budget conscious of me to just go there without knowing for sure. :-/

What program did you go for? Did you like the campus? The faculty? Your program? I'm dying to hear! I haven't seen any one else on this forum who's applied to Stony Brook Theatre. :-)

Thanks!

I was in the MFA Dramaturgy program. The campus had a reputation for being really ugly, but they have since spent a lot of money on "beautification." I liked it, especially during spring and summer. Long Island itself is gorgeous, especially on the Stony Brook side of things! The faculty are great. Extremely personable, very qualified, very engaged in your success as a scholar and professional. The program itself is experiencing a great deal of financial cuts. In fact, they have canceled all of their main stage shows(!), which is troubling for any MFA student. But, you have New York city very close by. I was able to develop a lot of professional relationships in the city through the school, so the lack of main stage shows isn't all that bad if you're willing to spend the time and money traveling to NYC. If you have a lot of stage experience already, then the school is a good choice purely based on location. If you need more practical experience, you may want to go elsewhere. Out of my graduating class, one of my colleagues is now working with Robert Wilson, two are already teaching at universities, and I got into a PhD program, so it definitely afforded us the right opportunities. If you want, you can email me at alfie.wonderdog@gmail if you have more questions.

I was in the MFA Dramaturgy program. The campus had a reputation for being really ugly, but they have since spent a lot of money on "beautification." I liked it, especially during spring and summer. Long Island itself is gorgeous, especially on the Stony Brook side of things! The faculty are great. Extremely personable, very qualified, very engaged in your success as a scholar and professional. The program itself is experiencing a great deal of financial cuts. In fact, they have canceled all of their main stage shows(!), which is troubling for any MFA student. But, you have New York city very close by. I was able to develop a lot of professional relationships in the city through the school, so the lack of main stage shows isn't all that bad if you're willing to spend the time and money traveling to NYC. If you have a lot of stage experience already, then the school is a good choice purely based on location. If you need more practical experience, you may want to go elsewhere. Out of my graduating class, one of my colleagues is now working with Robert Wilson, two are already teaching at universities, and I got into a PhD program, so it definitely afforded us the right opportunities. If you want, you can email me at alfie.wonderdog@gmail if you have more questions.

Thanks for the help. I am really interested in Stony Brook, but I am a bit concerned by the fact that they are waiting so long to offer admission. Also, they haven't been really good in responding to emails quickly. It makes me wonder what it would be like going to school there. Hrm. I've had such an opposite experience with UIUC. They have emailed me constantly, and really showed that they want ME. Maybe Stony Brook is just not the best fit for me. Not sure. It is disconcerting that they've cancelled their mainstage shows. That right there might be reason enough not to go anyway.

I really am conflicted about Stony Brook. I'm going to give them this week to figure out if they want me. If I don't hear from them, I will assume that UIUC is just a better fit for what I want.

Thanks again!

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the help. I am really interested in Stony Brook, but I am a bit concerned by the fact that they are waiting so long to offer admission. Also, they haven't been really good in responding to emails quickly. It makes me wonder what it would be like going to school there. Hrm. I've had such an opposite experience with UIUC. They have emailed me constantly, and really showed that they want ME. Maybe Stony Brook is just not the best fit for me. Not sure. It is disconcerting that they've cancelled their mainstage shows. That right there might be reason enough not to go anyway.

I really am conflicted about Stony Brook. I'm going to give them this week to figure out if they want me. If I don't hear from them, I will assume that UIUC is just a better fit for what I want.

Thanks again!

Just to wrap this up, in case anyone is looking for Stony Brook timelines for next year: I finally heard from Stony Brook on 04/18/11 and they had still not come to a decision on MFA Dramaturgy candidates. They did, however, offer me admission into the MA program while they were trying to finalize their MFA choices. I declined the offer and withdrew my application to the MFA. I accepted UIUC's offer instead. I just had a bad experience with Stony Brook. In my opinion, you should never keep a candidate waiting that long, and to not even have final decisions after the April 15th deadline? To me, that is ridiculous and tells me that this is not the program I want to be in.

YMMV, but there's a heads-up to those who might be applying next year.