Theatre Programs

girlseekingphd

I am... kind of

Yale Theater Management

Washington University in St. Louis Theater and Performance Arts

Columbia Arts Administration, with an emphasis on theater

and some other arts ed programs

what area of the theater interests you? have you visited anywhere?

finally, an ally on the board :)

Nice to meet you! I come from a very generalist theatre background, lots of acting, directing, theory and crit but I have some experience in almost every area. I'm applying for an MA/PHD program in Theatre Arts, with a focus on gender in text and performance. There are things I'm better at, than others, but honestly, theatre is my life-blood. I would sweep a stage for the rest of my existence if it meant I could be in a theatre.

Management - that's awesome. What do you really want to do with your degree? I know you probably have an answer but I personally hate that question. The next person that asks me what I'm going to with three degrees in theatre is going to hear, "I just want to be famous. I'm going to be an actress and make lots and lots of money." Because that's what everyone wants to hear.

What drew you to the programs you're applying for?

Hello again

I am going to school to focus on education and outreach programs - I started a theater company several years ago and while it was rewarding and loads of fun, it was missing strong education and outreach and felt kind of pointless. Now, I am trying to start an independent company that works with different arts organizations and connects them with schools and their communities ((bla bla bla this reminds me too much of my sop already :)) anyway, they have schools that teach you how to run arts organizations and non-profits and i would like to go to one of them :)

ps sweeping the floor lol. perhaps there is some funding in that?

That sounds really great. Break a leg with admissions! I've applied to MA/PHD combined programs only. The MA programs I'm looking at are general but focus mainly on dramatic literature and theatre history. The PhDs are the same but some of them narrow to more specific areas of Performance Theory.

Those sound like great programs as well. Did you apply to Yale dramaturgy? I was at the open house last semester, and there was a tiny group, less than 5 I think (out of 40) at the open house that were applying to the dramaturgy program. best of luck - hopefully our decisions will come quickly :)

• 1 year later...

I've applied to three Arts Administration programs:

MFA at Southern Utah University

MFA at DePaul

MA at NYU Steinhardt.

Now in the wait/interview/wait stage.

I'm most interested in community outreach/engagement/education and would love to end up at an opera/symphony.

I'm applying to a few Performance Studies programs. UC Berkeley (Ma/PhD) and Washington University in St. Louis (MA in Theater and Performance Studies). Other similar programs I looked at are University of British Colombia, University of Washington, University College Dublin, and UCI and UCSD have a joint PhD

• 3 weeks later...

*Raises hand* Another Theatre applicant over here! I applied to MA/MFA programs.

Here's where I stand so far:

Yale - Dramaturgy - Rejected

Columbia - Dramaturgy - Waiting

Cornell - Theatre Arts - Waiting

Tufts - Drama - Rejected

NYU - Performance Studies - Waiting

SUNY Stony Brook - Dramaturgy - Waiting

UMass Amherst - Dramaturgy - Waiting (and #1 choice--fingers crossed!)

UI Urbana Champaign - Theatre History and Practice - Waiting

Washington University in St. Louis -  Theater and Performance Studies - Waiting

I'm really hoping to hear something soon. I'm kind of freaking out that I haven't been asked for an interview. Has anyone heard from any of these schools?

Vicki,

I heard from UMass-Amherst about an interview on Feb. 18, but that was for the MFA-Directing program. I'll be interviewing March 7. Hope that helps a bit!

On 2/20/2011 at 9:19 AM, Vicki said:

*Raises hand* Another Theatre applicant over here! I applied to MA/MFA programs.

Here's where I stand so far:

Yale - Dramaturgy - Rejected

Columbia - Dramaturgy - Waiting

Cornell - Theatre Arts - Waiting

Tufts - Drama - Rejected

NYU - Performance Studies - Waiting

SUNY Stony Brook - Dramaturgy - Waiting

UMass Amherst - Dramaturgy - Waiting (and #1 choice--fingers crossed!)

UI Urbana Champaign - Theatre History & Practice - Waiting

Washington University in St. Louis -  Theater and Performance Studies - Waiting

I'm really hoping to hear something soon. I'm kind of freaking out that I haven't been asked for an interview. Has anyone heard from any of these schools?

Vicki,

I heard from UMass-Amherst about an interview on Feb. 18, but that was for the MFA-Directing program. I'll be interviewing March 7. Hope that helps a bit!

Thanks for the info. Hrm...I wonder if they interview all Theatre MFAs. That would be a bummer since they are my top choice. I did just hear from UIUC and I got accepted for the MA in Theatre! I am so excited about that. It's nice to get the first admit. :-P

Accepted at Yale and Columbia for dramaturgy. Any thoughts or advice on these programs appreciated!

Now, this is just my opinion, but having been a reader for several theatre companies, the quality of dramatic literature coming out of Columbia is just awful. I would assume their dramaturgy program works closely with their dramatic lit program, so just something to keep in mind. The few folks I've known who did the Columbia program came out saddled with debt and without much to show for it. I'm not familiar with Yale's program.

Hey guys, another threatre grad student here.

I applied to three PhD in Theatre programs:

Tufts -- accepted with fellowship

Brown -- rejected

Columbia -- waiting.

Has anyone heard from Columbia's PhD Theatre program yet? It seems like it's getting late in the game.....

Brown -- rejected

Columbia -- waiting.

Has anyone heard from Columbia's PhD Theatre program yet? It seems like it's getting late in the game.....

I applied to Columbia. I called a few days ago to ask about my status and they said if you hadn't heard, you didn't make it. Sucks, but oh well. Tufts is awesome! I'm likely going to UW Madison.

Just heard that I was accepted for NYU Performance Studies. :-) That makes 2 yes and 2 no. Not bad so far.

Has anyone heard anything from SUNY Stony Brook? I emailed the dept. secretary and she said letters would be going out in the next 2 weeks, but I'm worried. Has anyone interviewed with them? The waiting is killing me!

On 1/23/2009 at 2:37 PM, missashley said:

I am... kind of

Yale Theater Management

Washington University in St. Louis Theater and Performance Arts

Columbia Arts Administration, with an emphasis on theater

and some other arts ed programs

what area of the theater interests you? have you visited anywhere?

finally, an ally on the board :)

I know this is an old post, but I applied for these programs this year, along with several others. How did your applications work out?

Just heard that I was accepted for NYU Performance Studies. :-) That makes 2 yes and 2 no. Not bad so far.

Has anyone heard anything from SUNY Stony Brook? I emailed the dept. secretary and she said letters would be going out in the next 2 weeks, but I'm worried. Has anyone interviewed with them? The waiting is killing me!

Did you apply for the PhD? I am still waiting to hear, it is my last school and not looking to good if they haven't gotten back to me by now.

Did you apply for the PhD? I am still waiting to hear, it is my last school and not looking to good if they haven't gotten back to me by now.

No, I applied for the MA.

What is going on with Cornell? Has anyone heard from them? The last time I called (about a week and a half ago) the committee hadn't even met yet. I am really anxious to hear from them...

Just got my Cornell rejection letter in the mail yesterday. Kind of a bummer, but very much expected. :-) I was a little annoyed that it was a 3-sentence form letter from some admin assistant. At least the reject I got from Yale was personalized and written by the dept. chair. LOL.

So far it looks like UIUC is where I'm going. I'm pretty stoked about that actually. I guess I should feel good that this was my first application season and I was accepted by 2 schools! Not bad I suppose.

Still waiting to hear from SUNY Stony Brook. I'm thinking that's going to be a rejection, too, just based on how late in the admissions season it is getting. Has anyone else applied there/heard from them??

Good luck to everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

I graduated from SUNY Stony Brook last year. I remember getting my acceptance letter from them extremely late in the game (like April). They don't generally call for interviews, either. So, unfortunately, you'll just have to play the waiting game!

Brown -- rejected

Columbia -- waiting.

Hi, I was accepted to Tufts Drama too! I'm moving to Boston in a couple of weeks. Let me know if you're going there, too.

I graduated from SUNY Stony Brook last year. I remember getting my acceptance letter from them extremely late in the game (like April). They don't generally call for interviews, either. So, unfortunately, you'll just have to play the waiting game!

Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for letting me know! This has been driving me crazy. I hope I hear soon (yes or no, at this point I don't care. I just want to know!!) because if I get accepted, I'd like to visit the campus/faculty. I live in CA, so it's not really budget conscious of me to just go there without knowing for sure. :-/

What program did you go for? Did you like the campus? The faculty? Your program? I'm dying to hear! I haven't seen any one else on this forum who's applied to Stony Brook Theatre. :-)

Thanks!