Research Interests--as we all wait

ewurgler

Hey guys,

I'm sure you are all in the same anxious boat, nearly dying during this wait.

If you are like me, you want to know everything you can about every other possible applicant and how you measure up. So far I haven't seen a sociology-specific thread about research interests and where you have applied. One thing I am curious about is how many people are interested in x,y,z, and if they are applying to the same places as me.

I will start:

I am mainly interested in sociology of religion, cultural sociology and political sociology, with a specific interest in epistemology of evangelical, far-right protestant communities.

I have applied to Indiana, Minnesota, Berkeley, Northwestern, Penn, U of Chicago, Michigan and UNC.

Anyone else want to share so that we can all recalculate our chances?

Good idea, I've been looking for people with similar interests!

I'm interested in political sociology and social movements (and possibly some social psych... we'll see). So far I've focused specifically on South Africa and Poland, looking at liberation movements that become political parties.

I've applied to: University of Washington, UC Berkeley, Stanford, University of Arizona, University of Minnesota - Twin Cities, University of Wisconsin - Madison, and NYU.

I'm doing gender/sexuality, specifically masculinity and GLBT studies. I'm also interested in cultural reproduction (elements of cognitive sociology, cultural sociology, and sociology of religion).

In order of most to least favorite (if I had to choose), I'm applying to: UMass Amherst, Stony Brook, UCSB, UCSD, Indiana, USC, FSU, Delaware, UT, and Arizona.

ewurgler said:
Hey guys,

I'm sure you are all in the same anxious boat, nearly dying during this wait.

If you are like me, you want to know everything you can about every other possible applicant and how you measure up. So far I haven't seen a sociology-specific thread about research interests and where you have applied. One thing I am curious about is how many people are interested in x,y,z, and if they are applying to the same places as me.

I will start:

I am mainly interested in sociology of religion, cultural sociology and political sociology, with a specific interest in epistemology of evangelical, far-right protestant communities.

I have applied to Indiana, Minnesota, Berkeley, Northwestern, Penn, U of Chicago, Michigan and UNC.

Anyone else want to share so that we can all recalculate our chances?

Hmm, although I have very similar interests (religion, politics, social movements, culture, psycho-social well-being) I am applying to entirely different programs. I'm guessing that getting into a top program overall was among your largest concerns. I am pretty sure that my application wouldn't hold up at some of these schools, so I applied to programs that were really strong in religion in particular, as opposed to their overall ranking.

Best of luck! Maybe we'll run into each other at a conference some time.

At the moment my focus is on the American labor movement and its political activites, although I'd consider myself a generalist in organizational theory, the sociology of work and compartive social welfare policy (especially in relation to labor and employment relations) at this early point in my academic career.

At the risk of personally identifying myself more than I already have, the sociology programs I applied to are: Harvard, Chicago, Northwestern, Berkeley, Stanford, Indiana, North Carolina, Cornell, Columbia, MIT (Business School), Duke. Also a few poli sci departments that seemed like a good fit (although I'd prefer not to identify them).

My research interests are generally social inequality, incarceration, residential segregation, urban sociology, and quantitative methods. I haven't locked into a particular paradigm (mostly because I can't take myself too seriously yet) but I'm interested in conflict theory.

I applied to mostly top ten schools, and a few not, totaling 12. I also applied to the NSF GRFP, but I doubt I have a chance...haha

:) good luck everyone!!

I'm doing gender/sexuality, specifically masculinity and GLBT studies. I'm also interested in cultural reproduction (elements of cognitive sociology, cultural sociology, and sociology of religion).

In order of most to least favorite (if I had to choose), I'm applying to: UMass Amherst, Stony Brook, UCSB, UCSD, Indiana, USC, FSU, Delaware, UT, and Arizona.

yay, a fellow genderbender!

i'm definitely gender/sexuality with a huge focus on masculinity studies. very interested in social psychology, constructions of desire, adolescent development and even a little bit of educational achievement here and there!

applied to (most to least, but i would seriously love to go anywhere -- i've got the passion!): Brandeis, Berkeley, Michigan, Santa Barbara, NYU, Washington, UMass-Amherst, Stony Brook, Indiana, and Irvine.

i'm definitely gender/sexuality with a huge focus on masculinity studies. very interested in social psychology, constructions of desire, adolescent development and even a little bit of educational achievement here and there!

applied to (most to least, but i would seriously love to go anywhere -- i've got the passion!): Brandeis, Berkeley, Michigan, Santa Barbara, NYU, Washington, UMass-Amherst, Stony Brook, Indiana, and Irvine.

Wow, that's fantastic! We have ALOT in common! I'm also getting really into adolescent development and educational achievement - that's a huge part of what I mean by 'cultural reproduction'.

You've also given me a lot of confidence in the schools that I picked, since we have some of the same. Keep me posted on where you're going - maybe we'll get to work with each other someday soon!

Wow, that's fantastic! We have ALOT in common! I'm also getting really into adolescent development and educational achievement - that's a huge part of what I mean by 'cultural reproduction'.

You've also given me a lot of confidence in the schools that I picked, since we have some of the same. Keep me posted on where you're going - maybe we'll get to work with each other someday soon!

woohoo! i was going to comment about the school choices, too. i think that means we've really done our research, and we're ideal candidates for the phd world ;)

be in touch!!

Hello All-

It was recommended that I get in on this thread. I'm pursuing sociology of the body/body studies. The schools/programs I've applied to are below. I am interested in people's relationships to their bodies - the body and social theory - how the biological self and a social self are managed and maintained in public-private spaces.

I did my undergraduate work at The Gallatin School of Individualized Study at NYU and I am very hesitant to enter into a discipline.