Getting Mixed Signals From LOR Writer

When my boss first told me she would write my letter she said that she would make sure to give me the "first draft" to review so I could see what she wrote. Now today I found out that she submitted my letters, without showing them to me once! Now, I understand it is not standard practice to view your LOR's, but I am confused as to why she changed her mind on this, and I'm a little afraid to ask. She can be a little unpredictable and scatterbrained at times, so I am hoping that is why and that she didn't write a bad letter and doesn't want me to know.

Am I being too paranoid here? I've gotten mostly good reviews/feedback from her so I feel like there's not much reason to be, but now I am wondering....

Perhaps she simply forgot her promise. In any case, it's her right not to show you, as you're aware, so while it would've been cool to see the letter beforehand I sincerely doubt it's worth worrying about. If you're confident about your performance under her supervision, then rest easy.

Besides, she submitted it! You should be relieved that you won't need to hound her and that it's one more completed component of your applications.

Is your boss familiar with academic letters of recommendation? Perhaps she didn't realize that it wasn't standard practice to show them until she got the requests generated from the online applications?

Jellybean24--

Based upon your OP, she may well have forgotten. Better for her to have sent them without showing you a first draft than for her to show you a first draft without sending the letters.

An aside. I catch some heat because I think Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines is the best movie in the franchise. At one point, the T-101 barks at John Connor and Kate Brewster "RELAX!" as they drive towards Judgement Day <<

So, you know, what he said.

HTH.

Thanks, all. I figured this was yet another of the crazy thoughts that pops up in my overactive, nervous applicant imagination...but I wanted a second opinion.

Yes, Sigaba! We should all just "relax" as we drive toward judgment day i.e. the day we turn in our application for the all-knowing adcomms to review. : )