Sending GRE scores with/without department code?

PhilAwesome

So I've run into a bit of an issue when trying to send my GRE scores. I'm applying to Clinical Psych Ph.D. programs. Some schools say to send the scores to department code 2001. Cool, works for me. Some schools say not to put any department code. Awesome, that works too.

The place where I have an issue is when the school's website, and all information I can find using the almighty Google, doesn't indicate whether I should put a department code or not. In this case, should I leave out the department code, trusting that it will get sent on to clinical psych/matched up with the rest of my application somehow? Or should I put a department code, trusting that if everything is supposed to go to a central office, it will go there regardless of what department code I put? My main concern is putting down the department code 2001, then having ETS somehow try to send it there, finding that it doesn't exist, and then essentially taking my money for sending the scores without actually doing anything. I'd have more confidence if it looked like the ETS website was only displaying the department codes that the school actually has, but it looks like they just show all of the department codes even after I've selected the school.

So....help/advice? I'd like to be as timely as possible, which is why I thought I'd see if people here know before I go around sending emails to five different people at five different schools. Thanks!

You really should contact the schools. It's not uncommon to find contradicting information or a lack of information on graduate schools' websites. For one school I was applying to they had contradicting information on the same page!

And if you don't want to send out emails, I highly suggest calling them. Something like school/dept. codes is usually something their general graduate school office will know.

Similar question-- depending on the school, I am either applying to a general bio program or a neuroscience program. When I took the GRE and got to choose schools to send my scores to, I just chose "bio undecided" for all the schools instead of "neuroscience." Do you think that will be fine?

Does anyone know exactly how much the department code matters? I'm applying chemistry, and when I had the option of sending my GRE scores I wasn't allowed to get my phone to check my notes on specifically the department codes the schools asked for. I ended up sending them all to the "Chemistry - Other" code. No school asked for that code though. I imagine I can call them to make sure they found their way to the right place; I would feel stupid if I wasted those free score reports sending them to nowheresville :/

I've been wondering something similar - I ended up using the department code for speech pathology for all of my schools, and then realized that some of them don't need a department code. Will the scores still get to them even with the code? I'll probably go ahead and contact them to make sure after I submit my applications.

I've been wondering something similar - I ended up using the department code for speech pathology for all of my schools, and then realized that some of them don't need a department code. Will the scores still get to them even with the code? I'll probably go ahead and contact them to make sure after I submit my applications.

I did the same thing for mine, also in SLP. I'm waiting until it's been a couple of weeks since the scores were supposed to have gone out (mine just sent on Friday) before I bother checking. A lot of times it takes that long for them to match stuff to your application anyway, it seems.

Call the university or send an email.

I downloaded the application for a major university from the departmental website, and also I reviewed my specific department link within the website.

These 2 MS departments required different SOP and Graduate school applications.

I emailed the my specific departments advisor, she informed me which of the 2 versions to supply, she admitted that the website is incorrect and or confusing, this is being addressed presently.

You only get 1 chance to impress so make sure you contact and ask via email any specific questions or concerns. An incorrect form may get your application "tossed" before you even get reviewed.

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

I had to contact Kansas State regarding this.  They were able to just look me up and find me in some almighty database.  I'm thinking that perhaps the codes are for tracking, rather than school use.  It seems once the scores make their way to your target school they're available to anyone with access.