Yale MA in IR (Jackson)

Grad_Nov

Hey guys,

Just wondering who else will be applying to Yale this fall. Its one of my top choices and just wanted to compare notes with other prospective applicants.

I posted my profile on the official thread for MA/MPP/IR thing so wont repost it but would love to hear people's thoughts about the program, their profiles, etc.

(the last one!)

One thing I will mention is that I am a little disappointed that they have not got back to any of my mails as of yet, I've sent about 3 in the last 3 weeks.

Anyone get an actual reply from admissions?

Yeah, its odd. On the contacts list, they have the director of graduate studies, so I may try and contacting her.

If you dont mind me asking, what's your profile like?

Edited by Grad_Nov

You have a great profile and ought to be a shoo-in. I'm a little concerned for me. Yale averages about a 20% acceptance rate, which is incredibly competitive. Its a great school and program but what are your thoughts on the small cohort? Its a positive when learning because of the extra attention afforded but for networking and access to an alumni base, its a definite negative. Thoughts?

You have a great profile and ought to be a shoo-in. I'm a little concerned for me. Yale averages about a 20% acceptance rate, which is incredibly competitive. Its a great school and program but what are your thoughts on the small cohort? Its a positive when learning because of the extra attention afforded but for networking and access to an alumni base, its a definite negative. Thoughts?

Thanks for the kind words.

I think you are looking at it a little narrowly. Yes, the Jackson program itself is fairly small, but in terms of networking and access to an alumni base Yale as a whole is amazing. It's a freaking Ivy League, it has its tendrils wrapped into every major power institution in the US.

Good to see some other bulldog hopefuls (god willing!). Hope the LORs are working out for you, I too am having a bit of trouble with #3 so that might be common.

I'll have 4 years of post undergrad WE, 3 of which are in a managerial role at an international Fortune 50 company. That said, my undergrad GPA, albiet from a top 30 school, is an atrocious 2.6. My GREs are decent (650,680,5.5) so we'll see how the #s game plays out.

I haven't been on the boards for a while because reading them is fairly depressing (people with >3.7 GPAs freaking out etc.). Best advice is to keep on working and make contingency plans for worst case scenario.

With a bit of luck, and maybe a clerical error, we'll all be in New Haven in 9 months!

• 3 weeks later...

just made up my mind to apply for Jackson last week... their deadline is Jan. right? I guess i still have time LOL...

i'm an international student though, so probably not in the same pool with you guys... Yale is super competitive and i doubt it I have a chance:p, but it's worthwhile to try anyway... also it's a pretty academic program.. and i have 0 professional work-exp, so i guess at least the work-exp won't drag me down in Yale's app..

good luck guys!

I've spoken to the director of the program extensively in recent weeks and they have assured me that work experience is a definite motivating factor in their decisions now. They are hiring all these fancy professionals now and want to move away from the academic/policy stigma they have seemingly got.

Not to dissuade your app but just thought I would add that. Best of luck to you though.

yes, i think nowadays most of app. for IR have some work exp. but still yale's program is relatively academic and my disadvantage in work exp won't hurt me as much as, say, in SIPA or HKS

anyway, Yale is just one of the reach, so see if I get lucky. Also, it seems to me that intl students (especially those from China) have little work exp when they are admitted to IR programs.. so maybe there is different standard??

Hi guys, I'm an applicant for Yale too. First choice for me so quite desperate to get in. Stats are as follows:

NYU 3.7GPA, Sociology & Political Science double major

2 years out of undergrad

mostly internship work but quite diverse and interesting (i feel anyway!), worked for US senator and NGO in Mali

Speak 4 languages fluently and learning a 5th

What are the usual admissions rates at Yale? I worry as there is a small cohort I think so numbers will usually be low! :(

to Nobama:

not sure about the admission rate, but this is a small program.. around 25-30 students/yr

to Grad-Nov, haha it's internet so people dont' really have a life.. but anyway, i think you are right, that Yale probably would look to work exp now... i also heard about their new policy-oriented course blablabla...

actually what surprised me is that everyone I know admitted from China has 0 work exp, and everyone i know admitted from U.S have a tons of work exp.. so i'm confused about what's exactly is the school's policy :P...

Yeah, thought as much. Small program has its benefits I guess. On the website it states around 300 applications are made, so by that math, about 10% are taken!!!!!!!

Worrying.

not sure about ur gre/ ps, but your gpa /work exp are definitely solid.

Yeah, thought as much. Small program has its benefits I guess. On the website it states around 300 applications are made, so by that math, about 10% are taken!!!!!!!

Worrying.

Well that assumes that all students that get into Yale accept their offer, which is clearly not the case.

That same FAQ page states that 50-60 students are admitted out of the 300, which would place the admit rate in the 16.7-20% range.