Should i even try to apply for Graduate school

ac195

I have a 2.2 gpa and i was wondering should i even waste my money applying to graduate school. My undergraduate professors encourage me to apply, but the application fees are going to add up. Most professors say it would be a crime for me not to go to grad. I hated undergraduate because i focused on my artistic courses and i would stay in the studio for hours, hence the sucky gpa. I would like for my focus to be painting and ceramics.

In terms of art, i have over a 3.0 within my major. I've entered my paintings into competitions and I've won awards in my state, so i was thinking maybe that would look good on my cv. If i decide to go, i want to use public transportation so i was thinking a big city....but i have student loans and housing is ridiculous in NYC. Or even any school that seems as if it would "fit" with my work.

Well here's my portfolio, take a look and let me know if you think i should, at least, try.

http://ttportfolio.tumblr.com

Hey,

I'm no art major but I looked at your portfolio and I think your stuff is absolutely beautiful... If you did well in your art courses, I think graduate schools would understand if your GPA is low in general. You could always make a good case for yourself in your statement of purpose, too. The question is, why do you want to go graduate school? Wouldn't most advanced education in painting and ceramics be in art/professional schools? Do you even need a graduate degree to be a successful artist? I think you're really talented either way.

Well, people told me that I should go to graduate school because of the economy. And that i could have something to fall back on if i don't sell. I would rather get a job and work my ass off trying to contact galleries and promote my work...but I want to be realistic.

I was thinking about applying to the usual art schools: Pratt, Parsons, Tyler etc...but i would be so much in debt when i graduate.