Rutgers phd prog, better to get masters first?

maximumride

I am about to finish my bachelors degree in History with a gpa of 3.8. My eventual goal is to become a college history professor. I am in NJ and only three schools offer a phd in history; Drew,Rutgers,Princeton. I have only checked Rutgers but they only accept 12 people per year into their program. Do you think it is better if I apply for the masters program at Rutgers,monmouth,a different college then after getting my masters apply to the Rutgers phd program? Will this raise my chance of getting into their phd program or should I just attempt to apply to their phd prog right out of undergrad? Can I apply to both Rutger's masters and phd program at the same time to have something to fall back on? Thanks.

-so pretty much my question is 'should I get my masters in history before i go for the phd.

Quick question: Are you dead set on staying in New Jersey to get your PhD? It seems like an odd choice since there are so many PhD programs around the country (and world) and some of those farther schools might be a better fit.

Even if you are looking to stay in that area, have you considered the schools in NYC and PA which might be close enough as well?

To try to answer your actual question: Usually if you have an undergrad degree in History a terminal masters isn't required in order to get into a PhD program, though in some situations it might be helpful. It depends a lot on your particular background, skills, and interests.

Max,

For what its worth, here is my feedback:

You sound as though you have not started the Rutgers application yet. If this is the case, you have just over one month to compose a statement of purpose, revise/perfect a writing sample, procure 3 meaningful letters of recommendation and complete the application itself...and this is to say nothing of the GRE...all with finals and the thanksgiving holiday weekend looming...

So if I am correct that you are contemplating whether to just now the start application process to Rutgers, I would say go for the M.A. degree.

Here's why: You can probably start right away (even if not admitted to the program right away, you can probably take 2 classes in the spring and enroll for the fall term), you can build your Ph.D. resume through presenting and publishing at the M.A. level (remember you are vying for 12-15 spots with 300-400 other applicants) and you will become a much more polished applicant.

One last piece of advice, take the thesis track, not the non-thesis track- why would Rutgers want a grad student who already has proven that they are reluctant to do on a smaller scale (thesis), exactly what they will have to on a much larger scale if admitted (dissertation).

Hope this advice helps, I followed it myself...

It sounds to me that you just woke up and realized how hard the job market is and want to hide out in graduate school. It's November, after all. Employers don't really start hiring until March-May when they have a better idea of their finances and the current market demand.

I say, take a year off. If you are a good student, you absolutely have the right to be the best you can be. That is to say, take your time. Take your time to explore the world outside of Jersey (yeah, I grew up in Jersey and know how Jersey people can be). Take your time to finish very strong at your present institution. Take your time to write a honors thesis and polish it to sheen. Read a lot. Live in another city.

The whole process of preparing will take another year- this is a good training for you. If you can be that patient and endure these, then you will have the experience necessary to get through your first few years of graduate school. The decision to do graduate school should not be taken very lightly. Patience is an absolute virtue in academia, even as a graduate student. For example, your professors aren't going to turn your paper back to you in 1-2 weeks as in undergraduate. They are more likely to take at least 2-4 weeks. Or longer with the busiest or most disorganized ones.

Also, it sounds to me you're expecting to pay for the PhD and trying to do it at Rutgers (at in-state tuition). It's false and you should be able to aim for Princeton, which is fully funded (if the faculty interests' match yours). Most (sensible) PhD programs pay.

Edited by ticklemepink

Consider the utility of extending your undergraduate career so that you can participate in your department's honors program (that is, if you've not already done so) or, if possible, fulfill the requirements for a double major.

The extra year will give you time to do more research on graduate programs, to prepare your applications, and to request LoRs.

Another option is finding schools that have application deadlines in early 2012 rather than later this year.

HTH.

ETA:

My eventual goal is to become a college history professor.

MOO, one should not assume bad faith on maximumride's part merely because he/she is not as far along in the application process as one would like.

Edited by Sigaba