CUNY--are there individuals who make this work?

Although CUNY is one of my top schools, I'm concerned about the funding they offer. For the $125 app fee, I'm wondering if I should use that money elsewhere, i.e. drop the application to CUNY and apply to another department (maybe even two) that is less evasive about money matters. I was looking at their website, and I'm trying to figure out how it is possible that someone could even live off of the 18,000 stipend in NYC (and apparently this is the best case scenario)--But, not all admitted students get the ECF stipend, so they presumably have to live on even less. However, the website doesn't indicate the specific details of of how much money one gets from only teaching without an ECF.

And the website repeatedly states that they offer an "in-state tuition waiver": I'm not a resident of NY, so what exactly does that mean for me? My understanding is that out-of-state tuition is nearly double in-state tuition, so that's practically a deal-breaker for me.

It just seems impossible, even in the best case scenario.

Edited by ecritdansleau

My understanding is that it works because you can basically teach as much as you want/can. So people can generally take on enough adjuncting (spread out all over the CUNY system) to cover their costs and live. The downside of course is how much you teach. I met a girl there recently who was working on her dissertation proposal in her 6th year. She may be an outlier, but when she told me she didn't seem to suggest that it was weird or unheard of.

It's a school that should be on my list--and several profs have asked me why it's not. It's not because I'm dubious of continuing to live in New York as a pauper. :)

CUNY has an incredible faculty. I will definitely be applying there, but I'm also cognizant of the things you guys are mentioning. They take an enormous class, so it's almost certain that some people won't even receive funding. However, as mentioned above, you can teach as much as you want, and, in a way, you could almost consider that a bright spot. I think they make a fair amount of non-comp classes available too so you can practice your lit-ped skillz.

And you could definitely live in NYC on 18,000 a year. I'm doing it right now. You just have to not buy clothes or get your haircut EVER. :mellow:

And you could definitely live in NYC on 18,000 a year. I'm doing it right now. You just have to not buy clothes or get your haircut EVER. :mellow:

Seconding that. Right now I'm living on a budget very close to that and I can verify that it's doable. You just need to get creative, and sacrifice living in Manhattan (unless you want to live in, say, Washington/Morningside Heights, but then it'd be a pain to get to class; I'm in Brooklyn right now but it only takes me about 20 minutes to get to the CUNY Grad center).

Seconding that. Right now I'm living on a budget very close to that and I can verify that it's doable. You just need to get creative, and sacrifice living in Manhattan (unless you want to live in, say, Washington/Morningside Heights, but then it'd be a pain to get to class; I'm in Brooklyn right now but it only takes me about 20 minutes to get to the CUNY Grad center).

Brooklyn >>>>>>>>> Manhattan anyway! Can I get an amen? I'm in Williamsburg -- takes me like 30 min. to get to the Grad Center. Where are you in Brooklyn?

Brooklyn >>>>>>>>> Manhattan anyway! Can I get an amen? I'm in Williamsburg -- takes me like 30 min. to get to the Grad Center. Where are you in Brooklyn?

Amen to that! And I'm nearby, in """East Williamsburg""" (y'know, that term realty agents made up to move properties)! I'm pretty happy here. As long as the L isn't being an asshole, getting to the city is no problem.

Edited by cquin