Race to the Deadlines

gellert

All right, we're in that final stretch before December deadlines! Where do you stand? How much more do you have to do? How are you feeling?

I'm editing SOPs right now and still waiting (im)patiently for one of my transcripts to get mailed to me so I can scan it into apps. (Wth, I ordered it over a week ago!) Also working on the last bits of my NSF app. I'm more excited than stressed, though. (So far, anyway.)

Things are going ok on my end. Waiting for a professor to get one of my essays back to me, and waiting for a few reference letters to be submitted. That's where I'm stressing, at the moment, because I'm in the UK and two of my referees are the US so I can't exactly see them in person to remind them of the deadlines, and I always feel terribly awkward sending reminder emails... particularly to the one who's in Germany on leave and (potentially) not really checking email!

Things are kind of stuck on my end... I'm going mad waiting for a grade on my MA thesis so I can order transcripts and finally submit the apps. I already submitted one app without that grade, and I might have to do it with some more universities. It doesn't really matter, my MA grade average is excellent without it, but it must look better if I have my thesis grade, right?

On the bright side, I finished 9 out of 11 SOPs, and once my grade is in I can submit most of my apps.

However, this is when the real stress begins... After submitting the apps, waiting for the LORs to come in withing the deadline...

Don't feel bad about reminding your referees to submit their letters. It's part of their job, and they're used to it, and it takes them a long time because they're busy and forgetful, not because they don't like you. ;)

Having said that, I know I'll get completely freaked out once I submit my apps and start waiting for the LORs to come in...

Wait? Are we really in that final stretch? I'm not ready for the final stretch! I think I'd like to be in denial and pretend I'm still "ahead of the game" for a bit longer, but I guess you're right. Dang.

I've done 2/9 apps, and for 6 of the remaining 7 I only have to write new SoPs (I've written two now, they should only get easier, right?) For one of them, I still have to re-write one of my writing samples for a particular school. Mostly I just have to wait to get paid (in order to send of the last of my GRE scores, in order to pay those ridiculous application fees). That's what's most frustrating- I can't submit another app until I get paid even if I write all their SoPs, because I already don't have enough money for groceries this week/month.

I made the really tough decision last week to skip over applications for this season. I'm really bummed out, and feel bad because one of my recommenders spent a great deal of time and energy in trying to prepare me for grad school, but my stress and exhaustion levels were through the roof! Between six classes, my honor's project, my Mom's failing health, and working three jobs, I couldn't find the time to satisfactorily complete all my reading and homework, get comfortable with my writing sample and SOP, and study for the lit subject test (which I was supposed to take yesterday, but didn't).

So, I'm just going to spend the next 7-8 months trying to publish more work, attending conferences, polishing my writing sample, and studying, studying, studying for the subject test. I'll probably retake the regular GRE, too. :unsure:

There are a couple of MA programs in CA that will allow application submissions well into next year, so I haven't entirely ruled that out yet. But for now, I need a break. I'll just live vicariously through all of you!

Edited by dimanche0829

I am tailoring my SoPs and my CV, waiting on my last recommender to submit his pieces, and waiting for the schools to receive my transcripts. Feeling rather anxious about everything... Tailoring the SoPs is proving to be far more difficult than I expected, especially since the part that I am tailoring (research interests) seems to be the crucial piece of the document.

This forum relaxes me.

Yeah, I believe most are on the same phase.

My transcripts and GRE scores have all been sent, LOR requests sent out but I am chasing after one professor who I know will delay it (don't you hate ppl like that...he's good but he has to be pushed to write it.).

SOPs are not written yet!!! Will work on that.

The most gargantuan task has been the writing sample. Everyday i feel like i'm "almost done" but I keep editing it, going back, asking others to read it, a snip here and there. But I should be done soon...(fingers crossed).

And what is with some schools and five separate forms!! They want me to fill this out, that out, get this recommendation out, FLAS, etc. etc. Too much paperwork!~

Anyway, take deep breaths guys, it's two more weeks till the first deadlines are up, so not much more to go...

The status for my test scores at Berkeley was "received" for quite a while. Yesterday I checked and somehow (don't know since when) it has become "not received". I'm panicked!!! Has anyone been in this situation before?

Well, not stressing out yet, but I still have to write my SoP and then tailor it to each school. I have a basic idea but nothing solid yet. I'll work on it during Thanksgiving week--besides, I work best under pressure.

Not worried about the LoR writers--I think they'll pull through for me. I gave them all a checklist with application deadlines. Only one of my schools has a deadline of Dec 1.

GRE scores sent? Check.

Transcripts ordered and sent? Check.

Writing sample? Check--using my MS thesis.

Feeling anxious? Not yet, but I will if I don't get my SoP written by the time Thanksgiving Day rolls around...

Edited by wildviolet

Fiiiiinally finished my 11 applications. Wow, the light at the end of the application tunnel sure is worth it; as one who has a tendency to both be a perfectionist and procrastinator, it is such a relief to have the applications in and out of my hands (and a full two weeks before the earliest deadline, which would shock anyone who knows me!).

At least for me, the "diversity statements" for some schools were quite an unexpected time-consumer... I wonder whether anyone actually reads them. Anyhow, as of now my letters of recommendation are the only pending pieces, and then we're on to judgment season! I'm really hoping I don't have to go through this process again next year, but applying to funded PhD programs with a low undergrad GPA, I can never be sure.

Keep it up, all... just think, this is what you have been building toward for the last few years. Good luck!!

• 2 weeks later...

The status for my test scores at Berkeley was "received" for quite a while. Yesterday I checked and somehow (don't know since when) it has become "not received". I'm panicked!!! Has anyone been in this situation before?

call the admissions officer and ask, they are usually helpful.