Mentioning Application to Predoctoral Fellowship

Hi All,

I can't seem to find information on this topic.

I've recently discussed my research interest with my POI. While I get a decently positive feeling about submitting my application (was waitlisted last year) I feel that my chances could be improved if I had more of a readymade funding source. The POI said that his research group is new and still raising funds, but I should still reapply and if accepted perhaps be offered a TA position instead of a position as a graduate researcher. :(

I was thinking I could apply for an NIH predoctoral fellowship. There's one with my name written all over it, LOL! Really though, if I mentioned to admissions that I am serious about leveraging funds for my work, would that help my chances? If so, who do you think I should discuss this with?

My options:

1. Talk to POI about fellowship application

2. Talk to admissions about fellowship application

3. Discuss fellowship application in statement of purpose

4. Some combination of above

5. Don't talk about it because it looks manipulative

What do you think? I'd appreciate any feedback! :)

Respectfully but bluntly, as currently phrased, your argument strikes me as profoundly ill-considered. "Let me in because I might get a predoctoral fellowship and that way I won't have to teach."

Respectfully but bluntly, as currently phrased, your argument strikes me as profoundly ill-considered. "Let me in because I might get a predoctoral fellowship and that way I won't have to teach."

Point taken. Thanks, I see how it could be perceived that way. I truly don't mind teaching, but I feel like I'm screwed if for some reason they decide I would be a lousy fit for a TA position. It's quite possible they might, as my experience is nearly 100% research. Honestly, I'm afraid to ask how this could be handled when it comes time to give applicants the axe. I was hoping that if I discussed my intention to apply to a fellowship, they might see that I'm serious about funding my studies in one way or another. Maybe they'll like me! (sigh) Does this even matter? I might have already started down the path of "obsessing = control over situation," please stop me...