Learning Languages

yannao

Since language acquisition is a big part of Art History programs and many programs do not give credit for languages under the 400 level, does anyone have any suggestions as to how best to learn a second, third or even fourth language on their own?

What languages did you learn? What programs or strategies did you use? How long did it take? How did it go? How proficient are you with the language now?

Guest mckee002

I'm interested in hearing thoughts on this question as well. In addition to building work experience in the art industry and recovering from an intensive undergrad program (while working too much...), I am taking time off with the directed intention of learning German at the City College of San Francisco (can't beat $100 for a class) to be prepared to enter grad school.

If anyone has more effective language acquisition methods I'd love to hear them.

I'm also interested in how people keep up their languages while taking time off. While I will use it for my job (I'm the only one in the gallery who speaks French), it will be limited. I'm planning to join a French book club to keep my French fresh, and meet some new people in SF.

Considering grad schools mainly require reading skills in your chosen language(s) it might be a waste of time to take a normal language course, unless of course you are interested in it for other reasons. If it's specifically for school or to boost your application, go with a German/French/etc. for reading knowledge, rather than a class where you also learn pronunciation and all that. It will save you a lot of time and hassle.

Considering grad schools mainly require reading skills in your chosen language(s) it might be a waste of time to take a normal language course, unless of course you are interested in it for other reasons. If it's specifically for school or to boost your application, go with a German/French/etc. for reading knowledge, rather than a class where you also learn pronunciation and all that. It will save you a lot of time and hassle.

This is, to some extent, conventional wisdom. It is also COMPLETELY WRONG! (Excuse my yelling.) Those that I knew in grad school who took the "reading knowledge" courses were completely unable to do anything except pass the language exam. They were not able to use the language for research effectively. The whole point is not just to pass a stupid exam, but to be able to use the language skills for your research. The best way to do this is to have a thorough, complete understanding of the language.

I STRONGLY recommend taking a regular sequence of study for language acquisition, both spoken and written. Do not worry about whether you get "credit" for it. Doesn't matter. You're doing it to learn. And really apply yourself. Conversation classes that I took vastly improved my reading ability, for example. It's ok if you take the classes at a community college, or the Alliance Francaise, or whatever. But make every effort to engage with it. I also found that the most important classes I took in college that supported my art history training were in upper-division foreign literature. There's nothing like learning nineteenth-century French literature in the original to help you understand the art of that period.

As a bonus, when you travel you'll be much more confident than your fellow students. And you can impress colleagues at other institutions.

Here's another example: I have participated in the International Congress of the History of Art several times. It's like the Olympics of art history, held roughly every 4 years since the 19th century (the next one is in Nurnberg this summer). Papers are read in 3 or 4 different languages, and you are expected to keep up. In one session I was in, papers were in English, German, and French. (The Latin Americans mostly used French or English, since Spanish wasn't an official language.) My paper was in English, but I answered questions in French. At another session, I posed a question in German. Believe me, your European colleagues will have NO PROBLEM doing this. I can't follow every word of all these foreign-language papers, but I can get the gist of it. Without language training, you might as well go for a coffee break and skip half the conference.

Furthermore, if you're studying Asian or Middle-Eastern art, how do you think you'll do field research if you can't speak the languages? So, let's start looking at language training as a positive thing.

Mckee, you keep up the good work. It sounds as if you're doing exactly what you need to keep up your French. You might also subscribe to Paris Match--that's always fun.

OK, diatribe over.

Oh I totally agree with most of what you are saying, and think that ideally it's best to learn as many languages as well as possible, as they can only be helpful. But, realistically speaking, many of us do not have the time to become fluent in German, French, Italian, etc etc.

I think it also very much depends on what you want to do with your career. A reading knowledge class is a good way to pass the "language acquisition" part of an art history grad program that the OP asked about, and can also be a good bridge into learning a language more fully if that is indeed your goal, or a necessity for what you are looking to accomplish.

• 3 weeks later...

While I agree that language courses in general are better in the long run, for art history you should follow them up with a reading heavy course. I took regular German classes for a year and then did an intense Maymester course (3 weeks, 5 days a week, 3 hours a day- yikes) focused just on reading in German, but came out much better for it. You'll also notice that if you really need a language-particularly for reading you'll pick it up quickly after getting only the basics. I only took one semester of French in undergrad and now as a Gothic architecture person, I read more in French than English and it's fine with practice. The beginning of any language is tough, but it gets easier.

• 1 month later...

Because I was only able to take the 100 level sequence of German, I've made a deal with the German department at my institution.

Each week, I do a translation of an article I've found that deals with art in some way. A friend of mine who works as a tutor for the department and intends on pursuing linguistics after college reads over my translation and then talks it over with me. In exchange, I've agreed to do several lectures on Gothic architecture and German Expressionism.

I feel like my reading ability has improved greatly, but I still have a lot of work to do!

Good luck!

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you very much for the advice on this thread, particularly losemygrip. I have reading French and rusty, thrown-together semi-conversational and reading German - I mucked around with medieval languages during my MA. You've convinced me to spend the last of my Yule money on German conversational software, and to bite the bullet and take (or audit) an introductory French course during my first semester(s). Meanwhile I'll revisit my textbooks, watch some French- and German-language films, maybe borrow some novels from the library, and track down my multilingual friends to bother them with my terrible pronunciation. Good, good advice, particularly before I set foot into my new program.

I'm going to make one, tiny note of advice a POI gave me during a meeting last fall: if you're at a point where you have the basics of a language down, and are just working on reading, practice with real art history articles you'd use in research anyways. That way you'll more quickly build up relevant vocabulary, as well as the academic writing style.

Thank you, crossedfingers. The reading isn't the problem, though, so much as it is the hearing and speaking. I can get my way through most articles, but ask me in that language to describe my opinion it and I'll quickly remember that I have something in the oven!

I'm telling you, you never know when that verbal fluency will come in handy. I used it to calm down the staff in the Cabinet des dessins at the Louvre one time when I was running through drawings faster than they could re-file them. I knew just what to say to them to make clear my appreciation for their effort. Another time I made a huge impression on a visiting scholar by pointing out a punning reference in some documentary photos of the studios of Picasso. Probably wouldn't have known that with just a reading knowledge.

And it's also true, as crossed notes, that you need to be using it in your research at the same time. Particularly in German, the formal written version is a god-awful nightmare, and the sooner you get used to it, the better.

I've participated in FRAME meetings (French Regional American Museum Exchange) in the past and some of the curators were not comfortable speaking in English when discussing their projects and major exhibitions, so being able to understand French was a huge benefit when writing down notes for our museum about possible loans and collaborations. Also, when directing these curators to different locations, being able to speak in French to give directions also helps :) [Also, when they call you on your cell for directions on how to get back to their hotel. So fun!]

It sounds like, for North American scholars, instead of seeing academic fluency - that is, the ability to process and compose graduate-level ideas - in other languages as a benefit, we should really be seeing NOT having it as a disability.

• 6 months later...

I hope it's alright to resuscitate a half-year old topic, but I was just wondering if anyone knows how common (or perhaps possible?) it is to start a language from scratch while beginning a PhD program? Is it more common to try to scramble into a reading class to pass the exam or do people manage to take a substantial year long introduction course alongside first year coursework?

And I imagine it would depend on the program, but has anyone ever heard of an beginning student doubling up? Say... honing one language with which they have some basic, nascent familiarity and taking on a second fresh? Possible with summer study/travel or pretty much totally out of the question?

• 4 weeks later...

It happens. It depends on the situation. For instance, you couldn't apply to grad school in Latin American, Islamic, or Asian without already knowing some of the language for those areas. But you could start picking up your second language (usually the dreaded German) after you started the program.

I took lots of French and German as an undergrad, but only started Italian in grad school after deciding I might want to do a thesis on a Renaissance topic. I just took the regular first-year Italian course. Then continued in 2nd year Italian my first year in a PhD program, just so that I could get a better foundation (even though I wasn't working on Italian projects anymore).