The Diagnostic Thread

comicline865

Has anyone else visited:

https://grediagnostic.ets.org/GREDWeb/gred/signIn.jsp

And looked at the # of problems they missed versus their score? Maybe this would be a good place to say how many missed questions translates into a certain score.

170V: 1 question wrong

162Q: 7 questions wrong

I guess that means it's a pretty steep dropoff for math if, at least for the first 8-10 points or so, each missed questions translates to >1 point off of your score. Ouch. I'm curious if there are any 170Vs out there with 2-3 questions missed, or what exactly the "cutoff" is for a 170. Also, if there are any 170Qs with 1-2 questions missed, or if it's only a 170Q for 0 questions wrong.

Cheers. Hopefully this helps some people looking for an idea of where they stand/what they need to PT at.

Hey Starbuck,

I had the same idea when I looked at the score diagnostic this morning.

Quant: 166 -- 2 questions wrong (both at level 4)

Verbal: 165 -- 6 questions wrong (3 at level 5, 2 at level 4, 1 at level 3)

Note: levels in parentheses indicate question difficulty on a scale of 1-5.

Hey everyone,

I agree that the cutoff for quant does seem unusually steep. By contrast, one question missed in verbal seems to come out to <1 point off for scores towards the top of the range.

Quant: 163, 3 questions wrong (2 at level 4 and 1 at level 5) and 1 omitted (level 5)

Verbal: 167, 4 questions wrong (1 at level 3, 2 at level 4, and 1 at level 5), 1 question omitted from scoring*

*I don't know exactly what this means, but I assume ETS decided to throw out a question.

NOTE: I was having trouble getting into the diagnostic service, even though I had taken the test in August. Here's a tip: for the test date, it wants the month and year you took the test, not the day. I had to find out from someone on here before I could get in.

Edited by sengpatt

(Copying/pasting this from the "New scores are up" thread - has anyone else had this problem?)

I took the test October 10th, and just tried out the diagnostic service - for some reason the details for the verbal sections are showing up, but not the quantitative. Strange! I just get an error message that says:

Quantitative Data Error

Sorry data is missing for some section. Please try
if you need more assistance

Cute, ETS. Are you mocking me with your grammatical errors? Anyway, seeing that the questions I got wrong in the verbal sections were all difficulty level 4 or 5 is comforting somehow.

Edited by alicejcw

The site is still not working for me! I took the GRE last September 9, 2011 and the scores are already up in my MyGRE page since November. I am from Asia though and of course the official score report still hasn't arrived in the mail. I've also put 9(Sep) and 11 in the test date. What am I doing wrong?

The site is still not working for me! I took the GRE last September 9, 2011 and the scores are already up in my MyGRE page since November. I am from Asia though and of course the official score report still hasn't arrived in the mail. I've also put 9(Sep) and 11 in the test date. What am I doing wrong?

Hey Contretemps,

I was having the same problem. The trick is that the GRE Registration Number is a different one than is listed online on your account page. You are given a new number when you receive the score report in the mail, and you use this number to sign onto the diagnostic thread. So you will have to wait until it arrives in the mail. Hope that helps!

Hey Contretemps,

I was having the same problem. The trick is that the GRE Registration Number is a different one than is listed online on your account page. You are given a new number when you receive the score report in the mail, and you use this number to sign onto the diagnostic thread. So you will have to wait until it arrives in the mail. Hope that helps!

So that's why! Thanks. :)