Umich psychology Personal statement and statement of purpose... what?

Plokim

Hi everyone,

With submissions around the corner. I've just got a few questions regarding the University of Michigan's policy of submitting a personal statement and statement of purpose.

I correct in saying that personal statement is meant to highlight HOW my life experiences lead me to my current interests and why UMich would be the best place for me to pursue my grad studies and this research interest. Whereas the statement of purpose is the space to discuss WHAT my research interests, academic past and research experiences are?

I've got a essay template that I've been adapting to other applications that want just a personal statement but the Umich's policy is a little weird for me to have to split up my essay. Does that mean that I shouldn't bring in personal details (e.g., my military experience) in my statement of purpose? That would make it incredibly dry. Conversely, not mentioning how my academic experiences lead to my interest would make my personal statement "fluffy"...

Anyone else applying to Umich have any idea how to go about this?

Also, do you think that having lived in three countries with different cultures and political systems as well as military experience is enough "diversity"? What are they looking for when they ask for that?

Many thanks!

I read on a wesbite about applying to programs that places that have both a statement of purpose and a personal statement are actually looking for two, distinctly different essays. The former should be an explanation of your purpose in attaining a doctorate (I.e., academic and career goals, research interests and experience, etc.) while the latter is an indirect way of asking for information about your personal background. Apparently, a lot of universities in that area (UofMN also requests both) strive to recruit a diverse student body, but can't, by law, directly ask for such information in an essay. They get around this issue by requesting a personal statement that vaguely suggests topics that would lead an applicant to divulge information about their cultural upbringing, race, socioeconomic background, etc.

HTH

Hi Engali,

Thanks for that. You are very perceptive to deduce which program I am applying to; I am applying to I/O programs with the exception of UMich but that's because of my research interests in power. I've read your profile too what topics in I/O are you interested in?

For any job or school you apply to, the organization or school wants to know your levels of ability and motivation.

In the academic statement of purpose you get to demonstrate your ability by discussing how your past experiences have equipped you with skills that will allow you to succeed in graduate school and as a professional psychologist (e.g., research experiences, conference presentations, or whatever else may apply), and you get to demonstrate your motivation by discussing your career goals (e.g., research interests) and why the program is a good fit for you. The academic statement of purpose will be important but drier, which is just fine.

In the personal statement you have the option of demonstrating your ability by telling a story about other areas where you have had success in life, but overall I think the most important thing is to demonstrate your motivation by sharing an experience that helped you discover that you want to pursue a career in psychology. I suggest that you tell a story about one general experience (i.e., don't give a comprehensive personal history). Was there something about your military experience that led you to want to pursue a psychology career? Was there something about the differences in local political systems in the places you've lived? Think of the personal statement as personable (note: not sloppy) rather than "fluffy." You're letting the selection committee get to know you as a person and giving them a break from the other parts of the application process.

Your military experience and multi-country living experiences sound like great content for any diversity statement. "Diversity" can really refer to anything about your life history that makes you stand out. That part of any application is tough to write, so I recommend searching online to see how others have approached it. I found that was helpful last year when I was applying.

I actually did apply to UMICH and just split up my statement of purpose into two parts. The first part of my statement talked about my path to psychology and why I wanted a PhD while the second was purely academic and research focused. I didn't write anything new and was able to split my statement without it being awkward. Maybe this wasn't the way to go but after 14 applications I was in no mood to write a completely new essay.

Hi Engali,

Thanks for that. You are very perceptive to deduce which program I am applying to; I am applying to I/O programs with the exception of UMich but that's because of my research interests in power. I've read your profile too what topics in I/O are you interested in?

Hey Plokim,

You're welcome. I also noticed, besides UOfMichigan, NWU; I don't think they have an I/O programs.

In any case, I'm interested in a broad range of I/O topics. I'm probably most interested in leadership. Other topics of interest include selection, training and development (especially development), motivation, job attitudes, and occupational stress. I have specific interests within these topics, but they span all these topics.

Edited by Engali

Hey thanks Mr Tea and Pheonixx. That helps loads.

I just have one more question. For one of the Universities I've contacted profs who's research interest me (not necessarily power) problem is 5 of them have responded favorably. Should I include all of them in my personal statement? 2 of them have research interests similar to mine where as other 3 just have interesting topics. I'm thinking dividing it up into the 2 that have research interests relevant to mine that the other 3 as faculty I would like to work with to broaden my horizons.

Any thoughts?

If they all don't have related interests you might come across as not being focused enough and that can definitely be viewed as a bad thing. I would really focus on the faculty that have research interests similar to yours. Many programs will let you collaborate with people outside of your specific field so you ask about that if you get an interview.

Just curious - who are you applying to work with at MSU?

Hey thanks pheonixx,

Perhaps I should clarify a little, the "peripheral" faculty do have research related to power e.g. motivation, goal orientation, etc. Just not directly related to leadership.

With regard to MSU, I was interest the LMX work of Dr. Chang, we about an hour long chat on skype, turns out her current work is focused on aggression which is also power adjacent and intriguing, just not as related to my interests in leadership-though I wouldn't mind working on that too. Dr. Schaubroeck and Dr. Leong's work on leadership and culture are a little more relevant.

I agree that entering all names in your letter could make it seem like you are unfocused, even if it's true. Choose the two or three with whom you would most like to work and briefly mention why your interests fit with their research. You may end up working with all five professors eventually, or you may discover that the professors who you do not mention are a better fit after you get to know them and their current research in greater depth, but you don't need to state that in your statement of purpose. Just try to express that the program as a whole will help you reach your research and career goals.

Hey thanks Mr Tea and Pheonixx. That helps loads.

I just have one more question. For one of the Universities I've contacted profs who's research interest me (not necessarily power) problem is 5 of them have responded favorably. Should I include all of them in my personal statement? 2 of them have research interests similar to mine where as other 3 just have interesting topics. I'm thinking dividing it up into the 2 that have research interests relevant to mine that the other 3 as faculty I would like to work with to broaden my horizons.

Any thoughts?