Sources

Okay, this may sound like a weird or random question, but I'm just wondering, how many sources do your writing samples have? I am working on expanding a conference paper I presented last year, and I'm wondering if I have too many sources or perhaps not enough. I know the samples should be like seminar papers, but I never did this much research on a seminar paper, so I'm wondering if I am overdoing it.

I am so stuck in my own head these days I just need a little perspective. How many sources do your writing samples have?

Okay, this may sound like a weird or random question, but I'm just wondering, how many sources do your writing samples have? I am working on expanding a conference paper I presented last year, and I'm wondering if I have too many sources or perhaps not enough. I know the samples should be like seminar papers, but I never did this much research on a seminar paper, so I'm wondering if I am overdoing it.

I am so stuck in my own head these days I just need a little perspective. How many sources do your writing samples have?

Good question. Mine may not be a great example because it is an article length paper derived from research I've done for my thesis. It has 7 primary sources (some of which are being used more like background sources), 4 background sources, and 14 secondary sources, for a grand total of 25.

I just looked at my writing sample again to answer this and noticed yet ANOTHER f-ing typo that I missed before sending. Unbelievable. I must have edited this like 1000 times. Unbelievable.

Edited by TripWillis

I am actually more worried that I am writing more than they expected. I will probably end up with 20+ sources, and I just wasn't sure if this is the norm. I would never "pad." It's just that I received my Master's a few years ago, and ever since I wrote my thesis, I have a habit of finding the need to find EVERY source imaginable on the topic, and these writing samples are supposed to look more like seminar papers, which is hard for me to remember at this point. I'm just trying to get an idea of what others are doing, that's all.

Edited by Timshel

I'm still in the process of dealing with some writing sample issues--I'm using a different paper than I'd planned, at least for some of my schools. This one is definitely seminar-style, and it really doesn't have a ton of sources. Two primary texts, one theoretical text, and four or five critical sources. I was advised to not add any more than that--even if I use other sources, I should replace some of the ones I already have.

That being said, I'm still in the process of dealing with my other writing sample, which has one main primary text, a TON of primary texts used as background sources, three main theoretical texts, and a whole bunch of other sources. It's kind of a mess (which is why I'm not using it anymore...even though it kicks way more ass than the other paper. It's just not ready yet. :( )

I'm still in the process of dealing with some writing sample issues--I'm using a different paper than I'd planned, at least for some of my schools. This one is definitely seminar-style, and it really doesn't have a ton of sources. Two primary texts, one theoretical text, and four or five critical sources. I was advised to not add any more than that--even if I use other sources, I should replace some of the ones I already have.

That being said, I'm still in the process of dealing with my other writing sample, which has one main primary text, a TON of primary texts used as background sources, three main theoretical texts, and a whole bunch of other sources. It's kind of a mess (which is why I'm not using it anymore...even though it kicks way more ass than the other paper. It's just not ready yet. :( )

I'm curious to know, where are you guys getting the inside tip that we should be sending seminar/term style papers with less sources? None of my letter writers or anyone told me anything about that. Huh. I basically sent them something a little shorter than article length.

Several of my schools ask for 10 or 12 pages samples. I think it is the length requirements that lead people to submit whatever they have, not so much specific advice from advisors.

Oh, and my 10 page sample has 1 primary text, 4 secondary critical texts, 1 theoretical text and several background sources all mentioned briefly within a 3 page span.

Edited by Grunty DaGnome

Several of my schools ask for 10 or 12 pages samples. I think it is the length requirements that lead people to submit whatever they have, not so much specific advice from advisors.

Oh, and my 10 page sample has 1 primary text, 4 secondary critical texts, 1 theoretical text and several background sources all mentioned briefly within a 3 page span.

Hmm, most of my places were asking for either 10-20 page samples, or 15-25, or 15-20. CUNY Grad Center was a 15 p. max and so I condensed my essay for them. Otherwise it was 19 pages for everyone else.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but my choice of a writing sample was more or less a shot in the dark...just like the rest of the process. I'm guessing that whatever you submit, seminar paper, article, etc., if it's well written for its style, is the right choice.

Well, I can't speak for anyone else, but my choice of a writing sample was more or less a shot in the dark...just like the rest of the process. I'm guessing that whatever you submit, seminar paper, article, etc., if it's well written for its style, is the right choice.

Yeah, that's more or less how I feel. They're looking at writing style, contextualization of argument, approach, research skills, and then somewhere in the back, content and originality of thought. Length/sources are not really that important, I imagine. So basically the criteria work against my strengths. :)

However, it is very much aligned with my growth as a scholar, my scholarly strengths and knowledge, and my current interests, so in that regard I think I chose well. Quality of writing... not sure. I want to say this is my best scholarly writing, but that's like saying the second Twilight film is my favorite.

I guess I'm just concerned with not having enough sources because I know people who were turned down and when asked why they didn't get in, they were specifically told that their writing sample did not utilize seminal texts in their field or it didn't contain the most relevant or current scholarship on the topic, so I am spending a LOT of time going through sources to make sure I have the best.

I guess I'm just concerned with not having enough sources because I know people who were turned down and when asked why they didn't get in, they were specifically told that their writing sample did not utilize seminal texts in their field or it didn't contain the most relevant or current scholarship on the topic, so I am spending a LOT of time going through sources to make sure I have the best.

Ohhh well that makes sense to me. I think if a school says that, what they're saying is that you should focus on the current conversation about your topic/text, even if you're diverging from it. They want to see that you're aware of the current critical conversation on a given topic.

However, I should note that my background texts spanned like three decades (1977, 1990, and 2001; Raymond Williams, Judith Butler, and Martin Meeker, respectively), so hopefully they don't think I'm f-ing crazy. Heck, I just like what I like.

My theoretical texts also span different decades. However, because I do psychoanalysis, most of my theorists are actual psychologists and then a few who apply that to literature in particular. Ehh.... I don't know if that's good or bad.

Edited by Timshel

Ok, then a question for you all - say you have 3 potential essays to submit as writing samples.

#1: Uses current sources (2000s to present), is well-written and concise (12 pages), but is primarily analysis of one text (a Shakespeare play through the lens of critical/performance theory and psychoanalytic theory).

#2: Uses older sources (1960s-80s), is more long-winded and complex in style (15 pages), and addresses a primary text in the scope of a wider, speculative, theoretical lens (ok ok, it's poststructuralist/Lacanian study of Joyce, to clarify).

#3: Uses a mix of current and older sources (1960s-2000s), is broadly speculative, experimental, and somewhat complex in style (also 15 pages), and addresses a large scope of texts by one author using a wide theoretical lens (psychoanalysis. linguistics, and gender/identity performance) and is in my opinion, a somewhat shaky and contestable point of view.

Which would you choose? The one that uses mostly current scholarship but is less theoretical/experimental/original than the other two? Or one of the more experimental ones that use a wide range of theory, but risk this being dated theory? (If it helps, I have my MA so I feel demonstrating solid grasp of theoretical conversations is necessary, and topic doesn't matter much since I'm split between two subjects and I'd rather use whatever is strongest. And for anyone concerned about the reception of these, my past professors have graded all of these equally.)

Thanks in advance for any answers to my shameless plea for help!!!

Ok, then a question for you all - say you have 3 potential essays to submit as writing samples.

#1: Uses current sources (2000s to present), is well-written and concise (12 pages), but is primarily analysis of one text (a Shakespeare play through the lens of critical/performance theory and psychoanalytic theory).

#2: Uses older sources (1960s-80s), is more long-winded and complex in style (15 pages), and addresses a primary text in the scope of a wider, speculative, theoretical lens (ok ok, it's poststructuralist/Lacanian study of Joyce, to clarify).

#3: Uses a mix of current and older sources (1960s-2000s), is broadly speculative, experimental, and somewhat complex in style (also 15 pages), and addresses a large scope of texts by one author using a wide theoretical lens (psychoanalysis. linguistics, and gender/identity performance) and is in my opinion, a somewhat shaky and contestable point of view.

Which would you choose? The one that uses mostly current scholarship but is less theoretical/experimental/original than the other two? Or one of the more experimental ones that use a wide range of theory, but risk this being dated theory? (If it helps, I have my MA so I feel demonstrating solid grasp of theoretical conversations is necessary, and topic doesn't matter much since I'm split between two subjects and I'd rather use whatever is strongest. And for anyone concerned about the reception of these, my past professors have graded all of these equally.)

Thanks in advance for any answers to my shameless plea for help!!!

I think the two most important factors are an awareness of recent scholarship and an original argument. Whichever paper balances those two things is probably the best choice. In that way, it sounds like #2 would be a good choice, but you might want think about it carefully if it has a "shaky and contestable" point of view.

I have one writing sample that is 15 pages and has 8 sources. I've already bulked it up from a 12 pages paper, but not quite done with the editing process. It is a chapter from my thesis, so I have some manipulating to do so that it doesn't feel so jarring when I am throwing theory in from another chapter because it wasn't thoroughly explained in the section that I'm doing and had to pull to make it show that there was research behind it. It may end up with more sources once I'm done figuring out exactly what I need to pull for clarity that was explained earlier in the thesis.

Kansas requires 2 samples, but they don't indicate a page limit/expectation on them sooooo I'm going to send the 15ish page one as well as an 8 page one that has been accepted for publication. I mention this article in my SOP, so although the shorter one isn't my primary focus, I mention the article and the themes behind it as another area of focus that I am interested in.

3 of the programs I'm applying to indicate they want a 10-15 page writing sample, so I'm sticking to that page length. LSU wants around 20 pages - luckily their deadline is January 25th, so I have time to work that out.

Ugh on Kansas wanting two samples. I believe my other one will be a chapter from my thesis, which is a whole other thing I need to worry about later. I am going to be on vacation for two weeks, from the 16 to the 30th, and of course Kansas is due at the end of December, so that is something else I will need to work on in these next two weeks. Boo.

I think the two most important factors are an awareness of recent scholarship and an original argument. Whichever paper balances those two things is probably the best choice. In that way, it sounds like #2 would be a good choice, but you might want think about it carefully if it has a "shaky and contestable" point of view.

Many thanks, ecritdansleau! And lolopixie and timshel - TWO samples actually sounds like a blessing at this point. Then you could pick one that demonstrates the most concise, solid writing, and another that has the most original ideas and/or recent scholarship; or one in your primary field and the other in your secondary. I think that's how I'd approach it. I'd seriously love to have that option.

Good luck!

Ugh on Kansas wanting two samples. I believe my other one will be a chapter from my thesis, which is a whole other thing I need to worry about later. I am going to be on vacation for two weeks, from the 16 to the 30th, and of course Kansas is due at the end of December, so that is something else I will need to work on in these next two weeks. Boo.

I'm on vacation from Dec 24-Jan 2. If worst comes to worst, I'm holing up for a few days to finish Kansas. Luckily, they want everything sent electronically. Go Kansas for being Green - and not making us pay overnight shipping during the holidays!!

For what it's worth, my 15 pg sample has only 8 sources at the moment (I'm still editing, and I may include an additional article that I just read this past week).

Edited by cquin

my computer died a few months after i graduated and i lost pretty much everything, so last winter i started my writing sample. 19 sources for 19 pages, though they range from calculus books to early 20th century metaphysics. literary stuff in there too.

Calculus and metaphysics? Better you than me... :blink: