All the other interdisciplinary fields seem pretty well represented here, so I figured I'd chime in on behalf of this season's STS applicants.

Where are you applying? What is your proposal? Are you applying to strictly interdisciplinary programs or have you thrown in a more conventional program?

I'm going mostly interdisciplinary, but have also applied to Columbia's MPH in Sociomedical Sciences. Can't hurt! I have my eye on MIT's HASTS program in the future, but am looking for a terminal MA beforehand to beef up my qualifications. Since graduating, I have been working in PR and haven't had a chance to do much academic work.

My research area is identity/selfhood in relation to new techniques in biotechnology and the "posthuman." I plan on grounding my critical and theoretical work in an ethnographic survey of Iraq and Afghanistan veterans with state-of-the-art prosthetic limbs.

OK! Your turn.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! I know I'm breathing life into a corpse here, but thanks for starting the thread. I'm interested in STS as well. I hadn't heard of HASTS @ MIT, so thank you for providing me with the reference. It sounds like a cool program. I'm also interested in identity and self in relation to technology, but my thoughts are inchoate in form and direction. More related to media studies and computing. Definitely linked to the bastard children of Continental Philosophy. Your project sounds awesome. I've yet to apply to any programs, though I just visited University of Indiana and was impressed by the amount of interdisciplinary communication that seems to be occurring between departments.

Hey! I know I'm breathing life into a corpse here, but thanks for starting the thread. I'm interested in STS as well. I hadn't heard of HASTS @ MIT, so thank you for providing me with the reference. It sounds like a cool program. I'm also interested in identity and self in relation to technology, but my thoughts are inchoate in form and direction. More related to media studies and computing. Definitely linked to the bastard children of Continental Philosophy. Your project sounds awesome. I've yet to apply to any programs, though I just visited University of Indiana and was impressed by the amount of interdisciplinary communication that seems to be occurring between departments.

HEY! Awesome to hear from another STS applicant...have you read any Sherry Turkle? She works a lot with representation/simulation in terms of the subjects you mentioned, especially computing. Plus, she's the head of MIT's Initiative on Technology and the Self, and I have a big academic crush on her etc etc.

I think if you're willing to relocate there are a lot of great options for the field, but I'm committed to staying in NYC for a bit longer -- have you looked at Cornell?

• 2 months later...

Hey all -- any of you out there get the invites for HASTS @ MIT today? I saw two posted on the results page, and I'm curious to know who the POI's were... particularly since I myself didn't get an invite. I'm trying to figure out whether I should start drinking myself into a stupor immediately or whether I should cling to hope for a few more days. :>

Hey all -- any of you out there get the invites for HASTS @ MIT today? I saw two posted on the results page, and I'm curious to know who the POI's were... particularly since I myself didn't get an invite. I'm trying to figure out whether I should start drinking myself into a stupor immediately or whether I should cling to hope for a few more days. :>

I wish! I didn't apply for PhD yet -- looking to bulk up with an MA first before applying. BUT, with that said, MIT HASTS is THE DREAM program, so I'm totally jealous of anyone with an interview.

• 1 month later...

I've just been accepted into the STS MA program at York University in Toronto, Canada for fall 2012! I was sad to see that there was no subforum for us STS folk, but I'm glad to see there's some presence. I'm probably an odd case, as my undergraduate background is in business administration and accounting. But my life changed in the last couple of years, and I couldn't be more excited to be starting on this journey.

Here's the full story, before I blab on for too long: http://milkywaymusings.tumblr.com/post/11763864010/changing-directions

I've just been accepted into the STS MA program at York University in Toronto, Canada for fall 2012! I was sad to see that there was no subforum for us STS folk, but I'm glad to see there's some presence.

Congratulations on getting into York! Your research area sounds really interesting, and anyone who loves Carl Sagan is fine by me. I get what you mean about this being an uphill battle; not just a discipline in its relative infancy, but made up of people with such wild backgrounds! I used to be a music publicist, so it is quite a switch...good luck!

• 1 year later...
I am a PhD student at Manchester Metropolitan University (UK), looking at the performation of Psychology through Actor-Network Theory (ANT) and attempting to introduce ANT and STS perspectives to the discipline. With this, I am in search of any resources, events, institutes or centres that you could recommend; as I want to become immersed in this area - can you help?