Another post-acceptance professor communication Q.

saritapie

Since this summer, I've been in fairly frequent, detailed communication with a prospective advisor ("PA") at one of the programs to which I've applied. We went so far as to discuss the composition of my hypothetical committee, and on the basis of that conversation, PA strongly urged me to get in touch with three additional faculty members. Easy enough, but one of the three has been in the field; we've been exchanging brief e-mails and rather languidly discussing our mutual intention to talk, but so far it has not yet happened. The scheduling ball was in my court when PA called meto give me unofficial, advanced notice that I have been accepted by the dept. and recommended for a great funding package

Who sent the last email between you and the Prospective Committee Member? If it was you, then I'd just let it be for a while and leave the ball in his court. If it was him, then I'd respond to that email as you had been doing. In general, I'd lay off, because once you get your official notice, maybe things will fall into place easier rather than having to push for them now?

Who sent the last email between you and the Prospective Committee Member?

He did, before I got the news. So it's still in my court. But, I am pretty darn sold on the program, and I also have a pretty good sense of how this particular prof works with students (I'm friends with two grad students who've worked with him closely). Consequently, I feel like my "questions," such as they are, can wait until a face-to-face meeting. The point of rushing to converse now was so that he could have a better sense of me while he reviewed my app.

::shrug:: Not a big deal, but I don't want to step on any toes or waste anyone's time, ya know?

I just had something really similar happen to me yesterday. I had been informed by the Graduate Studies Coordinator that when I visit the campus of my first choice on Monday, I will be sitting in on a certain professor's class. This professor happens to be the old advisor of my undergrad mentor. My mentor sent an email to this professor letting him know I would be attending his lecture. The professor, unsolicited, responded by saying that the committee admitted me a week ago but that I wouldn't receive my letter for two more weeks. So now I know that I'm accepted but I don't know if THEY know that I know. Or if this professor was supposed to tell me. Not sure what I should say next week. My instinct is to play dumb and act like this is still a pre-acceptance visit. Sure is confusing! :shock: