Assisting difficult faculty

amaeru

I'm currently enrolled in an MS program in communication sciences and disorders, and was fortunate to receive funding as a TA to two professors in my department who were teaching the same course. Things started off great and I really enjoyed my time with them.

However, as the semester has progressed I've been having some personal concerns about one of the professors I assist. When clinic began for me I notified her that seeing my client would interfere with hours but I would be happy to rearrange my availability. Her reply was less than enthusiastic. Ever since, whenever I am meeting with her she seems very short and even at times rude with me. I pushed this aside because the department was going through some changes, but even now she is very short with me, telling me what she needs help with only to tell me that I'm not "getting enough hours" or venting her frustrations once I complete something for her. I feel that my performance overall has suffered because of her constantly being short and mean-tempered with me.

While discussing my situation with another TA who did undergrad at the same university, I was told that this professor has a reputation for being rude and this is known even among faculty. When asked what to do, I was told to "just rough it out and see".

Should I asked to be reassigned to a different professor in the spring? I am really dreading being her teaching and research assistant in the spring because my schedule will be much more busy and she seems very uninterested in the fact that I have my own classes and clinic to attend to as well. To be honest, I also feel under-appreciated and at times I even feel as if I'm her go-to person to vent and complain to. I don't see myself being able to cope well with this professor in the spring, so any advice on who to talk to or what to do would be very much appreciated.

If you can switch without stepping on too many toes, by all means do. Do you have any faculty members that you have a close enough relationship with to perhaps discuss this with them? Frame it in the best light possible (don't say anything bad about your current prof), just hint at the difficulties you are having, and if she really does have this situation this faculty member should know what you mean, and see what they think you should do. She may have a reputation for being rude, but she is still a faculty member there and thus you want to deal with the situation carefully so that it doesn't reflect poorly on you.

• 1 month later...

I'm also a bit confused- in your last paragraph you mention being her teaching and research assistant- are you assigned to her class as a TA, or to her personally as an RA? These are two different situations to deal with, imo.