Cheap apples and really expensive oranges....

Emma2003

Hi all! I have applied to 4 schools, all of whom are in my geographical area, i cannot leave because my husband is tied here to a really good job. All four are schools with good general reputations. One is a top tier school, but out of a class size of 150, they only offer total funding to 2 people. If i do not attend the top tier school, i probably will close myself off to an entire avenue of career possibility. However, even if I attend the school, it is not a guarantee of a place. If I get offers from a lesser school with funding (all three are about 50 in the top 100) versus an offer with no funding from the top tier school (one of the top 5 for my discipline) i am not sure what I should do...

What would you guys do in a simillar situation?

My view is that if these are your only options then go to the top tier school and do as well as you can, and hopefully secure some external funding. Will your husband support you financially? I wouldn't advocate going into serious debt in order to go to a top tier school unless you know that the education you receive will pay off. But I don't really think going to a mediocre school is an option either. You may get funding, but with the job market the way it is, what will this education do for you? But take what I say with a large grain (or two) of salt because I don't know anything about your field or your plans.

All the best!

It really depends on your field and your financial situation, I think...in studio arts, what kind of difference in careers exists for top-tier and mid-range graduates? What kind of jobs are you aiming for? (I'm afraid I have no idea!) Would the difference in earnings and opportunities over your lifetime make up for the cost? And can you live on your husband's salary alone? It's so different in every case...I wouldn't take on private school tuition for a PhD as debt, but having a partner who works could perhaps make things easier.

(What would I do in a similar situation? Well, if a good, expensive school that also funds only a couple students a year lets me in but doesn't fund me, that's probably not something I can pay for in loans. If a decent school with assistantships that pay for tuition but no living stipends admits me, that might be worth taking on for the duration of an MA, especially if said school is AWESOME. If I got in somewhere with full funding, though, it wouldn't have to be the top school.)

I'm going after my degree in order to teach, which would be possible with a degree from any of the four. The top tier school offers connections and name recognition which would be invaluable in pursuing a gallery career. But going there is no guarantee that would happen. We could probably do it, with some loans and prayers, but it would be really hard to turn down a package in order to do it. It's taken me almost ten years to get my bachelor's, because of kids, and what not, and I would really like to be able to say, "I got a tuition waiver and an assistantship!" It would make it seem like the sacrifice has been worth it. I think I'm going with the package, if it happens, but I change my mind everyday....It's still wishful thinking at this point...

I know this isn't the most helpful advice, but perhaps you should wait to see how the cards fall. There is no point in stressing (I know it's hard not to) over what could be and wait to see what comes to fruition. The decision may be made for you.

I'm going after my degree in order to teach, which would be possible with a degree from any of the four. The top tier school offers connections and name recognition which would be invaluable in pursuing a gallery career. But going there is no guarantee that would happen. quote]

You are absolutely right. There are no guarantees in anything. :D For now I think researching salaries of grads of those two schools will give you an idea on what program will have a better payoff now and when you reach your mid career. Make a cost-benefit analysis and maybe you'll see which one works out for you best. Goodluck!

I will admit that I know nothing about the studio arts, but I understand your dilemma. Personally I think name recognition is great, and it can give you a bit of a foot in the door, but in the end your education and your accomplishments are in your hands, no matter what school you go to. So if you received a great funding offer from a school that meets your own criteria, you can really put in the extra elbow grease to have an outstanding experience. You could be the very top student in your class, lead some student organization, become close with the best professors, score an amazing internship, or whatever would differentiate yourself and your resume in the studio arts community.

"If i do not attend the top tier school, i probably will close myself off to an entire avenue of career possibility." Really? I would carefully assess this assumption before taking on thousands and thousands of dollars of debt, unless you have some wealthy relatives who will pick up the tab. :D