Contact Information - What if I don't have a phone number?

anonyouknow

I've already submitted most of my apps for this year but figure better late than never to know.

I live in Singapore and would be an international student at the schools to which I'm applying. Of course, this means I have a Singapore phone number. However, because my phone is prepaid (and pretty crappy) I can't actually receive international calls, though I can make them using a card. Because it's necessary to provide your phone number on most applications, I didn't have any option but to put my current line although it'd be useless to any school trying to contact me by phone.

I'm a bit worried a school will try to contact me by phone with important information and I'll miss it. I didn't see anywhere in most applications I could make a note of this and now I'm wondering if I should contact the schools and let them know it would be easier to contact me through email.

Thoughts?

splackk--

See if you can use your existing phone number with Google Voice Lite.

Also, do try to contact the schools along the lines of your OP. They may agree to contact you via email instead of your cell phone.

A third option might be to coordinate with your home institution to see if they'd be willing to accept any calls and take a message so you could follow up later.

HTH

splackk-- See if you can use your existing phone number with Google Voice Lite. Also, do try to contact the schools along the lines of your OP. They may agree to contact you via email instead of your cell phone. A third option might be to coordinate with your home institution to see if they'd be willing to accept any calls and take a message so you could follow up later. HTH

It looks like Google Voice Lite is only available to US residents at the moment which rules me out, but thanks for the help and advice. I'll get in contact and let them know in advance just in case :) Hopefully since I'm international they'll want to conduct most communication through email anyway