Online MS Stats from reputable school or in class MS from low tier school?

Hi,

I'm currently trying to figure out which MS program I should apply to in order to be competitive for top Biostats PHD programs in the future. I am thinking of an online masters in stats. Will a phd admissions committee look down on an online masters?

Advice is much appreciated...

Edited by streetsidejunk

Don't do it. There are about 40 departments of stats or biostats which top biostat PhD programs view with respect, and none of them is online. You should do your best to get into a solid stats or biostats M.S. program (the top 40 in the US News rankings of Stat/Biostat programs isn't a bad place to start).

Huh! I didn't know that IA State offered on online MS. If the institution is reputable (and Iowa State is), I see no reason why an adcom would treat it any differently than an "in-person" degree.

• 4 months later...

Hello I just read your post and I just have a couple suggestions for you in regards to you finding the best program to further your education and help you become competitive while trying to get your PHD in the future.

I would highly encourage you to use the web to your advantage and research all the different programs that you might be interested in. Obviously with how popular online education has become there is more to choose from but also more to gain. One site I would check out is http://www.top5onlinecolleges.org which is a great resource guide that will show you the top accredited online school's right now and also how you can benefit from each. With your degree being very narrowed down, you can research specific programs from those universities and see what they have to offer.

I do think this is a great way to build your way up to your PHD and over time give you a great foundation to succeed in your career. I dont think a PHD program would look down on this at all, knowing how much work you have to put in whether it's in a classroom or not. In today's age there are plenty of options on how to get your education and this is certainly a great start.

Hope this helps!

Hi,

I'm currently trying to figure out which MS program I should apply to in order to be competitive for top Biostats PHD programs in the future. I am thinking of an online masters in stats. Will a phd admissions committee look down on an online masters?

Advice is much appreciated...