Schools with Later Deadlines?

Firstly, I'm new here, so, um, hi.

I'm applying to grad school now for a PhD in Literature. I have a few apps complete (Ohio State, University of Maryland, Washington University in St. Louis,) and I have a few mostly complete with later deadlines (University of Washington and University of Florida).

I was going to apply to a few other schools, but I've been dissuaded by some faculty mentors from applying to them because I probably wouldn't get in. (University of Michigan, UCLA, UPenn.)

So, I was wondering if anyone could help me identify some decent to great English PhD programs with early January or later deadlines. I'd like to specialize in Renaissance / Medieval British literature, preferably with psychoanalysis, but that wouldn't be necessary. I haven't taken the GRE Subject test, so any school that requires it would be out.

I've been looking into Penn State and University of Alabama's Hudson Strode Program in Renaissance Studies.

Any advice would really be appreciated.

Boston College has a Jan 1st deadline. They also have a large MA program [one of the few that might offers funding for a terminal MA]. Their PhD program is much smaller, so probably harder to get in, but if your professors feel your application is not competative, it might be a good option. Professor Stanton is an all around great guy and he is the main Medievalist there. You probably won't find anyone too much into psychoanalsys, because they are into cognitive theory. Look at Mary Crane and Robert Stanton's bio page and see if their interests sound interesting to you.

Hello, I think the University of Notre Dame fits all of your criteria. Their deadline is January 2nd, they don't require the subject GRE, and seem to be very strong in Medieval and Renaissance. I think they are actually famous for their Medieval department (this is just what I gather-- I'm applying there but I'm not a medievalist). They are in the top 50 but not the top 20.

Hello, I think the University of Notre Dame fits all of your criteria. Their deadline is January 2nd, they don't require the subject GRE, and seem to be very strong in Medieval and Renaissance. I think they are actually famous for their Medieval department (this is just what I gather-- I'm applying there but I'm not a medievalist). They are in the top 50 but not the top 20.

For medieval, they are top 10-- these things are of course relative. However, they have a great reputation. I am a medievalist, but I'm not applying to ND; they are a little too traditional for what I would like to do.

A friend of mine doing medieval/Renaissance is at Arizona State and really likes the program. I think their deadline is January 15th, and the website lists the subject test as "optional."

Edited by runonsentence

For medieval, they are top 10-- these things are of course relative. However, they have a great reputation. I am a medievalist, but I'm not applying to ND; they are a little too traditional for what I would like to do.

I, too, am a medievalist, and I would like to think that I am not much of a traditionalist either; however, we are only applying to a single corresponding program (Indiana). Strange.

I'm sure you're already aware of this, but it may bear repeating for others who read this thread down the line. Do NOT apply to programs just to throw them into the mix. Fit is *hugely* important in admissions, and it will also save you from a miserable experience once you are in. That is to say, "because they had a late deadline" is not a good reason to apply to any program.

a) no matter how much you read up or with whom you speak, you really don't have a clue what a program will be like before attending. I got into my second choice program, and I thought I liked everything about it, even months into the program. However slowly but surely a couple of my professors revealed themselves to be slightly bat$%?& crazy and I realized I needed to leave and re-prioritize. I'm applying to bigger programs with profs who seem even more accessible and open to mentoring than what I saw at my first school.

2) expect to be miserable at least part of each semester. This is a Ph.D. Intellectual growing pains, and the concomitant emotional pain that sometimes accompanies it, is part of the game.

III) many people say not to worry about prestige as much as "fit", but you will be surprised how little a Ph.D. in the humanities will get you if you can't get a teaching job - academia has become extremely professionalized, which is illustrated by the totally off-balance ratio of Ivy + Ph.D.'s getting the best jobs. Of course, some of you reading this may already be in programs, and have made your own choices for your own reasons. But so much of graduate school "wisdom" makes absolutely no sense in the context of wanting to really excel at, and (at least eventually) enjoy your work and profession. In Europe, no one talks about loving the Ph.D. No one. It is hell, and you live with it, despite the love in your heart for the subject matter. You joke about it with your friends, and learn to be really thick-skinned. That said, you also are respected for being able to talk about different intellectual topics, and all your friends want to take you to see art films. The average European is more fascinated by someone in academia and not intimidated or jealous. Definitely an upside.

Sorry for being overly-opinionated, I've been in France and Germany a year and a half doing an M.A. after leaving my Ph.D. program in literature (now going back for a different one, hopefully!)...so, just hoping that sharing my experience/perspective on graduate school helps a bit.

Edited by vertige

I'm sure you're already aware of this, but it may bear repeating for others who read this thread down the line. Do NOT apply to programs just to throw them into the mix. Fit is *hugely* important in admissions, and it will also save you from a miserable experience once you are in. That is to say, "because they had a late deadline" is not a good reason to apply to any program.

This is true--Especially if you end up entering a PhD program (and not just an MA): don't forget to ask yourself if you're really ready to commit for 6+ years. Philsparrow is right to point out, "because they had a late deadline" is probably not what you want to be the deciding factor in where you might end up for the next half-decade or so. I was really specific/picky when choosing the programs I'm applying to now because I would rather wait it out another year if that's what it takes to get into one of the departments I'm interested in. But, if that's your prerogative, then best of luck!

That being said, if you have any interest in trying UK programs, they tend to have much later deadlines than US programs. They also tend not to offer the same kind of funding to US/internationals...but if it's something that appeals to you, I would definitely look into it; you definitely have time. Many of their programs have deadlines in February-March (the most competitive ones, like Oxford, are earlier).

• 4 weeks later...

Check out UConn's Medieval Studies program. I'm also applying to English programs (and intend to focus on medieval), and this program is pretty high on my list of top schools, due to the interdisciplinary nature of my research interests. The program involves the English, History, Art, Art History, and Music departments, and they don't require a subject test. The deadline is Feb. 1