Publications submitted

confused_soul

I had submitted a paper to an IEEE conference last September and had stated in my CV regarding this as "submitted to conference". However, the paper was rejected. Should I mail and let the prof's or the admissions committee know about this?

I hadnt attached the papers as such in the extra application materials section, but had it stated in my CV and SOP.

As long as you don't misrepresent what's been done (e.g., leaving it vague as to whether the poster or publication has been submitted or accepted) then I think it's totally acceptable and I don't think you need to update them (because they would have no expectation that what you submit will always be accepted). Academics list on their CV work in progress/in prep/in press/submitted all the time because they want people to know what they have in the pipeline.

Of course you have material on your CV that is in progress. However, I don't believe it's wise to put material on your CV that hasn't been reviewed yet, even for conferences. I mean, you don't put "Harvard University" as your degree-granting institution simply because you applied there.

If you submit a publication for review and it is rejected, then you have to remove it from your CV. Doesn't make sense. However, if you submit a publication for review and it comes back "revise and resubmit" then you can keep it on your CV, because you know at some point they will accept it. See what I mean?

My advisor was quite confident that it would be accepted and hence he suggested me to put it as "submitted". The decision of rejection came recently after I had submitted the applications. So now should I inform all the univs of this to change the CV.

imo it's good to write such stuff on CV, some profs do that too, and you don't need to update the univs about the result of submissions unless it's an acceptance ;)

My advisor was quite confident that it would be accepted and hence he suggested me to put it as "submitted". The decision of rejection came recently after I had submitted the applications. So now should I inform all the univs of this to change the CV.

Do what you think is right, but I think informing the schools of this is unnecessary, especially since you wrote "submitted".

I know many well respected researchers (in my field) who include publications that are in progress, in prep, and submitted on their CVs -- none of which have been peer reviewed. Yes, you will have to remove them if they aren't accepted, but the point is that it allows people to see what you are working on. I can see that some people feel differently about it, and their reasoning does make sense, but as I said, I know researchers in my field do this so I know that it is an accepted practice.

I wouldn't worry about notifying schools about this...you can update it appropriately on your CV.

If anything, listing it as "submitted" shows grad schools that you are putting effort into conferences, which (I think) says quite a bit.