How to organize 'research ideas'

carlyhylton

I have a moleskin notebook that I use as an external brain.

Usually, ideas are written on whatevers handy to remember... And then when I get back home/to my desk, I get out my moleskin and transcribe the idea and add in any necessary additional details, references, etc.

I do usually keep a small pocket sized moleskin on me most of the time for quick idea notations, but it can also be a napkin, the back of a receipt, a voice notation on my ipod, etc. It's not so much about writing it down initially as getting it into a relatively permanent form.

Usually, as the idea progresses, I take the time to sit down and write up a semi-formal proposal in word, complete with citations and figures. Then I can either present it to my boss, or keep it in hold for the future when I have time to work on it.

• 1 month later...

Wow - the "record a voice message" idea is quite creative - I should try that sometime.

I try not to use it as much as I can -- my best ideas usually come when I'm somewhere public, and talking to my phone while looking extremely pensive doesn't give the best impressions.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a moleskin notebook that I use as an external brain.

Usually, ideas are written on whatevers handy to remember... And then when I get back home/to my desk, I get out my moleskin and transcribe the idea and add in any necessary additional details, references, etc.

I do usually keep a small pocket sized moleskin on me most of the time for quick idea notations, but it can also be a napkin, the back of a receipt, a voice notation on my ipod, etc. It's not so much about writing it down initially as getting it into a relatively permanent form.

Usually, as the idea progresses, I take the time to sit down and write up a semi-formal proposal in word, complete with citations and figures. Then I can either present it to my boss, or keep it in hold for the future when I have time to work on it.

Thanks for advising the proposal part. It sounds cool, we should do proposal quite often even without doing the whole research. That practice exercises our mind.

• 2 weeks later...